Indonesian translation of the Udāna uploaded

I’ve uploaded the Indonesian translation of the Udāna, with much gratitude to @Indra Anggara for the translation and the coding. :anjal:

3 Likes

Thank you @James. I will leave that for @indra to look at and if necessary to let me know what needs changing (no need to send me a new file).

1 Like

Thank you for your comment, James.

This translation is based on the english translation by Anandajoti Bhikkhu, as I don’t have the capacity to translate directly from Pali. The translations you recommend are the common formula in Bahasa Indonesia, but since the English version I used is not using the common english formula, so I’m not trying to make corrections, I trust Bhikkhu Anandajoti’s capability in this.

Besides, Bahasa Indonesia is still young, often I find it difficult to find the matching word, even the same english word have to be translated in different Bahasa word, I think this happened to every translators. So any comment like yours is very helpful to us.

you can refer to the “Exalted Utterances” by Anandajoti Bhikkhu then if possible please give more comments.

4 Likes

@James

thanks again for your comment.

While your suggestions are grammatically correct, I have to stick to common usage in our country, "rasa niat, “perdambaan”, as you suggested would become funny readings, and “mind” in that context is widely known as “batin” rather than “mentalitas”.

As for “continuation”, had Bhikkhu Anandajoti chosen “becoming”, i would then translate it as “penjelmaan”, rather than the funny word “penjadian”. But as it is “continuation”, then regretfully I have to be faithful to my source.

you’re correct about “craving”, we don’t have exact word for this term, long ago I discussed with friends, some suggest “kerinduan”, the other “pendambaan”, “ketagihan”, and so on, and honestly I use almost all these terms alternatingly, and in this context I chose “ketagihan”, for the sake of consistency.

4 Likes

@James,
I agree with you at “as long as the reader can get the real meaning of the Sutta”. In order to achieve that I try to use the most understandable word, that is, the daily spoken words in our country, without modifying the source.

Later, when people start asking about the meaning of what we’re discussing here, then I’ll think about adopting your suggestions and make proper corrections, otherwise, I’ll leave it as it is now.

Thank you James,
/\

3 Likes

All I can say is that different translators have different styles, and maybe different sources. If they all have the same translation, why we have so many translations? these variety translation also have merit, that is, readers can compare one another when they’re not sure with certain terms, like what i usually do when translating.

4 Likes