Infinity Problem

I think the problem is no one really knows what comes after death. So it’s pretty much a gamble. Do you want to become a Satanist and cheat and lie even murder your entire life and only pursue money and power? Or are you certain there is something after death and karma is real? Your choice really. Just like gambling. Just my 2c.

1 Like

First of all, I think you had a good question/doubt. And it’s good because the question addresses the traps we get into if we take a common interpretation of the Dhamma and push it to its limits.

Transmigration just comes with this issue you described - it makes sense as a motivator, and kamma explains a certain mechanical aspect of existence. But it collapses under heavy load. Of course I also can’t offer a solution, but my suggestion for such an analytical mind is to slowly forget about attaining nibbana and instead ‘doing the right thing á la Kalama sutta’ regardless of the effects and consequences…

Just to add another logical issue to the game: If transmigration wasn’t infinite in the past, it would mean that the ignorant ego at some point has emerged out of nothing - and this prospect would be so much more devastating! It would include the possibility that even after liberation, when there is nothing left, a ‘part’ of that nothing could just spontaneously again jump into existence. What that means in different words: Don’t stress the model too much - it’s not part of the instruction manual.

2 Likes