Insert Pali and Sanskrit Characters with diacritical marks on Discourse and operating systems

This will be of interest to the linux-using Pali scholars out there (and there actually seem to be several of you!).

I’ve written up a 4-page “Readme” to add a new “keymap” so that you can easily make all the Pali diacritics in Linux. You hold Right-Alt, then press the keys you’d expect, such as A, D, i, L, M, N, etc.

Bindings are all explained inside the .odt file (inside the attached zip file).

I’ve only shared this with a couple of Monk buddies so far (who used it on their own laptops), but I feel it’s time to show it to a wider audience. I’ve been using this and tweaking it for a few years now and I’m happy with where I’ve gotten it.

You need to at least have an Orange belt in Linux to follow these directions. :martial_arts_uniform: Especially Part 2 of the “Readme”, when you most likely aren’t specifically using the Distribution Xubuntu (which I was using when I wrote the document).

These directions are known to work well so far in:

• Xubuntu 16.04
  • Ubuntu 16.04
  • Manjaro Gnome 17
  • Should also work in Ubuntu 18.04 when it comes out, since x.org will be the default, not Wayland.

Note: These directions are for x.org. Not tested in Wayland yet.

Pali_keymap_linux_xorg.zip (1.6 MB)

3 Likes