“Interesting” meditation experiences?

Thanks to the kind explanations, I can see now why this subject made alarm bells go off. I am not a fan of or a participant in social media and internet communities and I don’t know other Buddhist websites, so I wasn’t aware of how it would be construed. Had I known, I would have worded the title differently.

Thanks @ERose, @Gillian, @Khemarato.bhikkhu, @ZenKen for your stories. That is precisely what I had in mind!

5 Likes

One of the tough things about reading the EBTs is simply understanding the vocabulary. For example, we have “infinite space.” Now what is that and why is it formless? :thinking:

Each of us needs to develop a personal understanding of the EBT vocabulary so that we can start our exploration of the EBTs. That personal understanding isn’t an attainment–it’s simply an initial engagement with the EBT’s.

In that regard, I’ll simply share that I acquired a very real and personal understanding of the perception of “infinite space” when I was practicing walking meditation in a strange room in the dark with my eyes closed. And what I experienced in that dark strange room was terror. I perceived an infinite dark stretching in all directions full of possibility and danger. We all perceive this in strange dark rooms with our eyes closed. That dark room was infinite and formless in perception.

And with that simple, everyday understanding, all of a sudden I engaged a bit more with the vocabulary of the EBTs. I also still practice moving about dark rooms eyes closed. Blind people do that effortlessly and with equanimity. Why can’t I? And what will happen if the earthquake hits as I walk in that dark room?
:thinking: :meditation: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I feel for your fear.

3 Likes

Do they? I don’t know blind people who are able, in a world designed for the sighted, to move around effortlessly and with equanimity.

Blind people too need marks of orientation; if not visual, then audible or tangible, or just memory. If they are in an unknown place with no sound and no other mark of orientation, blind people too would feel… terror! If there is really no mark of orientation at all, even equilibrium will fail, and they are unable to keep standing on their feet.

Therefore it is very brave of you to keep doing this practice!

4 Likes