Introducing myself. Namaste!

Hallo to everyone on this forum.
I’ve been reading this forum on-and-off for a while, and today I’ve decided to come out of my shell and introduce myself. Michael is my name, and I would like to point out that I am fairly newbe in my buddhist studies, but not too gone all together :relaxed:. I bought the book “In the Buddha’s Words” by Bhikkhu Bodhi about a year ago, and after reading through the topics decided that I would like to know more and make use of the teachings of the Buddha in my life, work and thoughts. I grew up in a protestant society as a left-fielder, having had a fascination and interest in Hundu philosophy and Yoga. The first serious book I’ve read on the subject was the Yoga Sutras, translated and commented by I. K. Taimni. This was heavy-going for a school boy in Africa, and it posed an unusual challenge for me to learn Sanskrit terminology and yoga without any guidance or dictionary even (this was before the internet). My interests haven’t changed, only deepened, and this is what brought me here.
I’m not a member of Buddhist community, physically, and this SuttaCentral forum looks like a great place to start getting to know people of like mind, and to learn the lessons of the Buddha from the Pali texts, which is so beautifully and conveniently arranged on the SuttaCentral website. A big “Thank You” to the staff of SuttaCentral for making the teachings of the Buddha available to us, and a special thanks to Bhikkhu Sujato for the English translations of the Pali canon (and more) in contemporary English that are provided here without any cost. It is truly an act of pure love. Thank you. :pray:

21 Likes

Welcome to the forum @michael_p :smiley: There’s much to explore here and lots of great people too!

5 Likes

Hey Michael, welcome. Enjoy your stay, and feel free to pester us with questions.

7 Likes

You are too kind. Thank you.

3 Likes