Introduction to the Suttavibhaṅga

That’s the one!

Good! What sort of timeframe? Within my lifetime?

2 Likes

I think it will be a matter of months (or weeks?) not years. @sabbamitta? Have you heard?

2 Likes

Found this:

3 Likes

Cool! I might just live to see it then! :grinning:

1 Like

I hope you live to see that and much, much more!

4 Likes

Directly editing that .json will not notify translators about the changes.

Let me look into my crystal ball … :crystal_ball: :smile:

Yes, that’s also what I have in mind. But somewhere else it has been mentioned that not all the intended features will be part of this rollout, probably because the available funds limit the work to some degree. But I don’t know what might be included and what might not be included. The wording I remember is something like “no less than what the old one could do”, so not sure if editing root files will be included.

Bhante @sujato ?

Let me second this from within my heart! :heart:

4 Likes

Hello, I don’t have an academic critique or grammatical suggestions to offer; I just want to convey that I think this is an excellent piece of work and I appreciate how much effort must have gone into creating it. Thanks for your insights!

4 Likes

If I could add a thought to this: American legal scholars have a sometimes-excessive practice of incorporating footnotes to almost every sentence in academic journals. The practice has two purposes; first, to prove that there is some external basis for the author’s assertion aside from his or her own conclusions. But secondly, to offer the reader a starting point to explore further reading on the assertion itself. Here, I wonder if it wouldn’t be useful to add a footnote identifying particular schools that believe in the Buddha’s omniscience, or better yet citing a specific text on which they rely to support that belief. In this way the author doesn’t need to rely on the reader to accept their conclusion on whether one thing or another is “unmistakable”; the reader can explore the issue further themself.

1 Like