Is Buddhism the True Religion?

That is true to an extent, but a psychology wouldn’t have the ritual observances and teachings regarding an afterlife and an ultimate meaning to life that Buddhism has.

I’m out of likes, but I liked your reply. I think it was ajahn brahmali that said Buddhism is a psychology.
Really, for me, it is a way of life, an attitude and the path to the highest happiness.

1 Like

At a basic level, in terms of presenting the reasons for human suffering and the path from suffering, Buddhism is definitely a psychology.

The word Samma in Samma Ditthi does not mean right or true.

Yes, but what according to you is the difference between a “right” view and a “true” view?

The issue is that the word “Religion” is a Western word, which has a lot of baggage.

Even in the modern academy, there is no consensus on what a religion is, and the modern usage of the word to refer to a broad number of systems of beliefs and practices is a recent invention. Some scholars argue that we should not use the term religion to describe non Western systems, because it is a Western word with Western connotations and concepts. Others have defined the term in a very broad and inclusive sense, but in some of these definitions, “Buddhism” isn’t a single religion, but an umbrella term for many different “Buddhisms” (indeed this kind of language is seeping into Buddhist studies now).

I think, because of the connotations and problems with the term religion, its best to just keep to a native Indic term, and say that Buddhism is simply the true Dhamma/Dharma and not get involved in the debates and problems that arise from the use of the word “Religion”.

1 Like

If semantics are important, then I believe Buddhism is the true Dharma.

My favorite religion besides Buddhism is Unity, which is not to be confused with Unitarian.

Unity draws from teachings of all the major religions, while encouraging its members to follow their own spiritual path. There are even Buddhist meditation groups at Unity churches.

Mahayana Buddhism teaches that all beings have Buddha-nature, the inner potential for enlightenment. This is the same, according to Unity, as saying that we are all the Christ-nature waiting to be born in the world. According to Unity, “God” is a word-symbol for the divine potential in all beings, rather than a literal Judeo-Christian god.

Semantics are important when imparting meaning, yes.

Also, a large number of westerners dislike the term religion, the growth of the “nones” or irreligious folks (statistically, those who say they have ‘no religion’ on sensus and surveys) is one of the most significant events in modern religious history.

So strategically, this is also a good [branding] move for Buddhism. Not like it hasn’t been done before - the “buddhism is not a religion” meme is at least a hundred years old now.

To say that all of the rapidly growing number of “nones” in the whole of the western world are all religiously disaffected hipsters is to misunderstand what the demographic data means.

That kind of dismissal is unskillful

Of course it shouldn’t no one here is claiming that.

I understand. I was referring more to a secular form of Buddhism.

That is, I think, a fair summary of the history of serious thought on the matter.

The word “religion” should be accompanied by a warning about

• Baskets of slippery eels the more you try to pin it down.
  • A divergence of views even among the well informed and probably too among those the Buddha referred to as “the wise”.
1 Like

I’m thankful because this teaching presented emptiness to me, and thereby I found space for all of my gods and whatnot, and didn’t force me to kick anything anywhere - just let it be …

Sunjata Saranam Gacchâmi. :anjal:

(What is the Truth?)

[What is religion?]

I am going through a hard time in my life right now, and my Buddhist faith is helping me get through.

3 Likes

May it continue to bring you strength :pray:

1 Like

Thank you. Gassho.

1 Like

You may find also interesting the history of Quakerism Quakers - Wikipedia especially the practices of contemporary “unprogrammed” meetings. There are Buddhists and buddhist-friendly among them. One interesting belief: no dogma, every person has a personal responsibility and freedom of belief, which unites.

While I appreciate the liberal Quakers, I am very much a Mahayana Buddhist. I am thankful that both my current town and my home town have nice Mahayana Buddhist temples.