Is it ok to take some alcohol occasionally?

Really? I don’t get that it’s acceptable according to the five precepts to drink occasionaly from this video.

I heard that keeping the 5 precepts (including abstaining from alcohol) is the minimum standard we should keep as Buddhists. But many people see these as actually difficult to achieve.

They may be new Buddhists or just not ready to do that (as Bhante alludes to whoever asked if they can have a small drink once in a while). If you’re asking that, obviously you don’t want to keep the 5 precepts, you want to keep the 4 precepts or the 3, whatever.

Everyone’s doing their best, but some people aren’t ready for it. No-one’s going to punish you or tell you off if you drink (just like no-one’s going follow you around as tell you off for every white lie).

But I don’t hear Bhante saying that drinking occasional alcohol is an acceptable part of the 5 precepts at all, more our attitude in how we should relate to ourselves around them. We should forgive ourselves and others, and continue to aspire and work for better.

But hey. Evam me sutam right? :laughing:

12 Likes