Is nibbida a type of aversion?

I was reading this page in the lion’s roar website. It says:

So there you are, happily reading the primary texts of early Buddhism in order to better understand the essential teachings of the Buddha. You get to the part that talks about a person practicing in accordance with the dhamma—knowing things directly as they really are and seeing what is impermanent as impermanent with right view. Your head is nodding in affirmation, “Yeah, that’s me all right.” Then all of a sudden you get to the next sentence: “Therefore, one should abide in the utter disgust for the aggregates” (Woodward’s translation).

“Whoa! Wait a minute. What’s up with that?” You think there must be something wrong here. How can the intimate awareness of moment-to-moment phenomena, the opening to states just as they are, lead to such a yucky response? We all know the monks and nuns are encouraged to contemplate death, the disintegration of the body in cemeteries, and other such, well, monastic things. But surely a lay Buddhist vipassana practitioner (for example) deserves a more positive outlook on life from all this mindful, conscious awareness.

Even though this sounds a lot like a Westerner’s typical aversive reaction to the Buddha’s teaching, it made me think more about what nibbida means. Is it a type of ill-will or aversion?

1 Like

Is hiri-ottappa?

See my previous answer here:

5 Likes

Thank you, Bhante! I hadn’t seen that post.

1 Like

To add a perspective that I didn’t see in the previous thread about nibbida vs. aversion, there’s suttas like AN 9.34 and AN 9.41:

[The Buddha:] And so, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, I entered and remained in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. While I was in that meditation, perceptions and attentions accompanied by sensual pleasures beset me, and that was an affliction for me. Suppose a happy person were to experience pain; that would be an affliction for them. In the same way, when perceptions and attentions accompanied by sensual pleasures beset me, that was an affliction for me.

And AN 4.126:

“There is the case where an individual keeps pervading the first direction—as well as the second direction, the third, & the fourth—with an awareness imbued with good will. Thus he keeps pervading above, below, & all around, everywhere & in every respect the all-encompassing cosmos with an awareness imbued with good will: abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.

He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with form, feeling, perception, fabrications, & consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self. At the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in conjunction with the devas of the Pure Abodes. This rebirth is not in common with run-of-the-mill people.

My interpretation is that that these are alternative descriptions of nibbida. E.g. after experiencing the first jhana, sensuality looks gross when a mental comparison is drawn with the first jhana experience.

Now, any fool can develop ill will and aversion. But anyone can’t dwell in jhanas and in metta. In particular, the perspective one develops based on metta-type absorption will probably not be tainted with ill will.

E.g. AN 6.13:

It’s impossible, reverend, it cannot happen that the heart’s release by love has been developed and properly implemented, yet somehow ill will still occupies the mind. For it is the heart’s release by love that is the escape from ill will.’

When people don’t have experience with deep meditation, as is the case for Mahānāma the Sakyan in MN 14, the Buddha offers a much more relatable reflection on sensuality, e.g.:

That gentleman might try hard, strive, and make an effort, but fail to earn any money. If this happens, they sorrow and wail and lament, beating their breast and falling into confusion, saying: ‘Oh, my hard work is wasted. My efforts are fruitless!’ This too is a drawback of sensual pleasures apparent in this very life, a mass of suffering caused by sensual pleasures.

In sum, it seems to me that nibbida is the result of seeing suffering (first noble truth); hence, it is connected with stream-entry and above (e.g. SN 22.122).

But for most of us, it’s probably more appropriate to reflect in a way that promotes renunciation and living a more spiritual life. Like, inflation is going up, my rent is going up, maybe I’ll lose all my money? Maybe I’ll struggle financially? Ugh, might as well go forth and try to get out of this unstable existence! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

See Anguttara Nikaya 7.46:

" “When a monk’s awareness often remains steeped in the perception of stress in what is inconstant, a fierce perception of danger & fear is established in him toward idleness, indolence, laziness, heedlessness, lack of commitment, & lack of reflection, as if toward a murderer with an upraised sword. If, when a monk’s awareness often remains steeped in the perception of stress in what is inconstant, a fierce perception of danger & fear is not established in him toward idleness, indolence, laziness, heedlessness, lack of commitment, & lack of reflection, as if toward a murderer with an upraised sword, then he should realize, ‘I have not developed the perception of stress in what is inconstant; there is no step-by-step distinction in me; I have not arrived at the fruit of [mental] development.’ In that way he is alert there. But if, when a monk’s awareness often remains steeped in the perception of stress in what is inconstant, a fierce perception of danger & fear is established in him toward idleness, indolence, laziness, heedlessness, lack of commitment, & lack of reflection, as if toward a murderer with an upraised sword, then he should realize, ‘I have developed the perception of stress in what is inconstant; there is a step-by-step distinction in me; I have arrived at the fruit of [mental] development.’ In that way he is alert there.”