Is Satipatthana Sutta a part of the Tipitaka. Is it a considered as EBT

Is Sattipattana Sutta a part of the Tipitaka. Is it an EBT.When was it written ?

I think there is no short and easy answer to that question. See Bhante Sujato’s book A History of Mindfulness for a detailed analysis.

3 Likes

Yes.

Bear in mind that there are several versions of “the” Satipatthana Sutta. All, however, are considered canonical within their school.

Also note the corrected spelling, I have corrected the title of the post, else it will be hard to search for. In Pali it is satipaṭṭhāna.

It is a compilation of passages, which acted as an early compendium of meditations. Most or all of the compiled passages and practices are found elsewhere, and may be considered early. The details of the compilation—which practices are included or excluded, and how they are organized and glued together—vary widely between the schools, and must have been settled later.

If you mean literally written down on a manuscript, then the answer is: along with the rest of the Tipitaka, which in Sri Lanka was around 20 BCE, and elsewhere probably around the same time.

If you mean when were the texts settled in the form we have them today, then it would be some time between the reign of King Ashoka and the finalizing of the Tipitaka, so probably around 200–100 BCE.

If you mean when the constituent parts were formed, then I think they go back to the Buddha.

9 Likes

:pray:t2:Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive answer.
Request to suggest name of good books having translations or interpretations of Satipatthana

Here is one.

3 Likes

I had raised my above query as a separate post as given below & got no. of good references from you and other members .

“Can you suggest name of best books having translations or interpretations of Satipatthana”

Thanks for the reply again anyway🙂

1 Like