SuttaCentral

Is Stoicism close to Buddhist teaching? What are the salient differences?

I am asking this question, for I try to follow much of Stoicism, and I can see that there are certain similarities. But there are also many differences. Could some aspects be the same or at least alike?

For example, Stoics assert that unhappiness and evil are the results of ignorance. If one is cruel, it is because he is unaware of his own universal reason. If one is unhappy, it is because he “forgot” how his true nature actually operates (these concepts seem to me very similar to the Buddha Nature, which belongs to all living beings, but is often in a latent state)>
https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/questions/22790/can-stoicism-be-seen-as-something-close-to-buddhism-in-some-aspects

Above question was posted on stack exchange. Can someone help? I have listened and read to Bhante Sujato and many times he quoted Stoicism.

There are a few people that were definitely on the right track, they never got the whole picture, but the stoics were some of them. Arthur Schopenhauer is another, he was actually even closer than the stoics, and he found buddhism later in life and was amazed at how similar it was to his work. Another one to look at is Epictetus. He was fairly close too. Not as close as Schopenhauer, but still. I would also recommend looking up the term ataraxia; I actually think that the pali term upekkha would be best defined as ataraxia instead of equanimity.