Is the Vinaya fit for purpose?

Not at all. Please do speak up! @AnagarikaMichael just made the most beautiful post about right speech:

I wonder if western Buddhism is becoming so comfortable with a kind of neutered or sterile gloss in terms of discussion and advocacy, that we are almost afraid to really engage vigorously on important issues? The Buddha that I see in the Nikayas is a vigorous man, not afraid to take on conventions of his time, or tackle views that were inconsistent with his Dhamma. I’ve never understood the sensibility that we want our monks and nuns to be pious, and quiet, afraid to step into the light and really advocate for a Dhamma that is true to the original teachings.
I am also troubled by the use of Right Speech as a hammer, to create a chilling effect on monastics (or anyone) that speak with the same vigor and conviction that the Buddha displays in the Canon.

:sparkling_heart:

Anyway, what kind of pamphlet did you have in mind? What would be most beneficial for laypeople, IYO?
Could the essential information fit on an A4 page, assuming that nobody will read anything that is longer? Or is there sufficient interest in vinaya matters that a longer booklet would be helpful?
Also, how would you want to use it? For upload on discourse as a reference? If you wanted to distribute it at your local centres, it might be much better to get a local monastic to write it.
And how serious would a booklet by an unknown young nun be taken? Wouldn’t people rather read something by a “big name”?

Bhante @anon61506839, is this similar to what you are doing? Your work is much more extensive than a little pamphlet of course, but could your work be adapted?

4 Likes