Is the Vinaya fit for purpose?

This is just one example of a talk on Vinaya matters:

“How the Sangha works” by Bhante Sujato. I love it!
:star_struck:

6 Likes

And here’s another one:

“Vinaya for monks and nuns: What do laypeople need to know about it?” by Ajahn Brahmali

3 Likes

Actually, I’m currently not staying at a monastery, but even when Tilorien will be built and we can move in, our support will be mostly international. In fact, our local supporter is the opposite of a hardcore vinaya adherent. More slightly amused by the little rituals that need to be performed, for example to make food allowable by touching it…
So I’m thinking maybe a youtube channel would be better? With short videos of around 10 minutes about topics of interest from the EBTs and vinaya. People could ask questions and request topics…
Anyway, thank you @anon29387788 and @Media for your input. I’ll give it some thought. My current location has very shaky internet access, so uploading videos will be out of the question for the next few months, and this will be rather a medium to long term project.

6 Likes

Hey Kay,

I really admire your enthusiasm for the nuns’ cause!

:heart_eyes: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

:white_flower::heartpulse::bhikkhuni::heavy_heart_exclamation::white_flower:

:bouquet::butterfly::blossom::unicorn:

:blush: Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

This breaks my heart. It was certainly a factor in my waffling with regard to ordination.

7 Likes

An analogy, you’ll find many videos about martial arts demonstrations but not many on the rigorous daily training, the routines that makes those beautiful demonstration possible. Vinaya is just like that. It’s not something lovely or beautiful. A lot of it is quite boring and tedious but vitally important, just like the training routines martial artists do day in, day out to perfect their skill. While some monk/nun believe the Vinaya can be loosen and thing’d just be fine and dandy, any combat soldier or martial arts fighter knows that slacking off his training routine by just a tiny bit means all the difference between a walking man versus a dead corpse.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the links. Would be great if you have an audio-only of ven. Sujato’s talk too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here we go:

:anjal:

3 Likes

:anjal:

2 Likes

With this tool you can convert a video to mp3. :bodhileaf:

2 Likes

A little more on brain structure as it relates to gender.