Is there a "place" in the west for a monastery that is home to Bhikkhus AND Bhikkhunis?

This is the western monastery local to me, near Spokane, Washington USA, as mentioned in a previous thread, An old story

Currently, there is only one monk to twelve Bikkshunis, and one male anagarika to two female anagarikas, but it seems to be a very peaceful community with a thriving and generous lay community, and was given the Dalai Lama’s full blessing. While I prefer the EBTs and such teachers as Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Sujato, Ajahn Brahmali, etc. I do enjoy every minute spent at Sravasti, and can appreciate the more esoteric practices of vajrayana as taught by Venerable Chödron, a gifted and inspirational teacher. It is her hope to grow the Sangha equally in gender, and employs many aspects of non-violent communication amongst her disciples to diffuse any potential conflicts inherent in a community, until, I would assume, their practice was developed enough to overcome these obstacles without reliance on such methods. Maybe potential coed monastics could learn from this example/practice?

With metta,

:anjal:

5 Likes