Is there a sutta called 'Aticari"?

Can someone help find above mentioned sutta IF there is one?

It’s the name of one sutta and an alternative name for another.

AticārÄĢsutta

Nicchavitthisutta
(referred to in the uddāna as the Nicchavitthi aticārinÄĢ)

4 Likes

Thank you bhante. I saw a sinhala translation of this and thought it was not very accurate and wanted to double check. I think it is quite important to translate with right words that will not mislead people (especially from my culture) to further put women down.
According to A.P. Soyza the reasons for a woman to be born in hell are:
āˇāˇŠâ€āļģāļ¯āˇŠāļ°āˇ āļąāˇāļ­āˇŠāļ­āˇ’āļēāļšāˇŠ āˇ€āˇšāļ¯,(faithless) āļŊāļĸāˇŠāļĸāˇ āļąāˇāļ­āˇŠāļ­āˇ’āļēāļšāˇŠ āˇ€āˇšāļ¯,(shameless/someone who doesn’t care of what society thinks) āļˇāļē āļąāˇāļ­āˇŠāļ­āˇ’āļēāļšāˇŠ āˇ€āˇšāļ¯,(fearless) āˇƒāˇŠāˇ€āˇāļ¸āˇ’āļēāˇ āļ‰āļšāˇŠāļ¸āˇ€āˇ āˇ„āˇāˇƒāˇ’āļģāˇ™āļąāˇŠāļąāˇ’āļēāļšāˇŠ āˇ€āˇšāļ¯, (one who goes above the husband)āļąāˇ”āˇ€āļĢāˇāļ­āˇŠāļ­āˇ’āļēāļšāˇŠ āˇ€āˇšāļ¯(intelligent woman)

I am hoping someone who has a contemporary sinhala knowledge will volunteer to translate suttas for Sutta Central.

2 Likes

It would seem there are only 5 criteria for going to a hellish realm: Katamehi paÃącahi? Assaddho ca hoti, ahiriko ca hoti, anottappÄĢ ca hoti, aticārÄĢ ca hoti, duppaÃąÃąo ca hoti—imehi kho, anuruddha, paÃącahi dhammehi. I would consider taking on a project of this scale, but have constraints on duration of time needed.

2 Likes

That would be great! Even if you take 10 years it will be worth it! :pray:t4: I would like to help in whatever way I can.

1 Like

Thanks for that. The first step, having established the shortcomings in SC versions, would be to see if the current Mahamewna version is good enough?!

1 Like