Is there a way to learn Pali like a natural language?

In case people haven’t seen it, here’s another discussion on learning Pali, with some resources that might be helpful. Also Richard Gombrich teaches both in person & on-line sometimes, and from what I’ve heard, uses a more ‘natural’ approach than some teachers. I’ve heard the Pariyatti live Pali courses does this as well, but unfortunatley you have to be a Goenka student to attend… sigh. But you can use their on-line course resources, inc some audio.

I’ve been studying Pali on my own and have to say, its not been easy for me at all, partly due to my ignorance of any languages other than English (sad & rather embarrassing, but not unusual growing up in the middle of the US to not even have the opportunity to study other languages in school, especially back then. Well, until University but I didn’t then, only picked up phrases here and there when I traveled). I really admire all of you who know more than one language & even multiple languages.

Personally, I’ve found Ven Brahmali’s recordings (see other discussion) very helpful as he reads the passages, so hearing it really augments just learning from texts. Also listening to recordings of the suttas in Pali, such as those from Ven Jiv here. But I agree, it would be great, and much easier, if it were a current spoken language (even if not exactly the same as Canonical Pali).

@Vstakan thanks for your post, with the very intersting points.

5 Likes