Is there a way to look up which suttas *don’t* have translations?

Greetings friends…

I was wondering if there’s a way to see which suttas are available only in Pali?

Like this one doesn’t happen to have a translation into English:

Is there a way to find more texts like that?

3 Likes

The Ghost Stories do have an audiobook translation

2 Likes

You could try checking the GitHub repos. Assuming that all the untranslated Pali suttas are available in the repo, you could do a comparison of the root and translated directories in the bilara-data repo. I’m not sure if that’s what you had in mind, but I don’t know if the SuttaCentral search function has the ability to filter based on which suttas don’t have translation.

3 Likes

And a print edition, which appears to be selections:

1 Like

Nope, it’s the whole thing. The translation is done in a way, though, where it is not 100% obvious what parts are translated from the commentaries. But the Pali is kind of straightforward, so if you ever want to check it’s not hard to do.

The whole thing is also on line on SuttaFriends.org. The Vimana Vatthu and the Peta Vatthu. I was reluctant to post them since the OP was asking about ways of finding suttas not translated on Sutta Central. But since others mentioned.

5 Likes

That was the OP question. Thanks for not flagging me [edit: & Ven @Khemarato.bhikkhu] as off topic. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, I understood the op to be looking for a way to make a list of all the suttas that have not yet been translated on SC (So they could start translating them???), not that they were trying to find translations for suttas that don’t have translations on SC.

4 Likes

So did I, we are in agreement. … Does my comment make even less sense than I thought it did? :upside_down_face: :thinking:

It would be lovely if someone could help out, @musiko, do you know a way?

3 Likes

Some translation to-do excel sheet somewhere, maybe :thinking:?

3 Likes

Not really what you want, but we do have a thingy to give an overview of translations in different languages.

May I ask why you wanted this?

4 Likes

Hello Bhante!

That’s cool! The background is that a few friends and I have been studying Pali with John and working through translating something once one a week on our own. Usually when we finish we compare our work with someone who actually knows what they are doing (you & Bhikkhu Bodhi, mostly! :slight_smile: ) to see how we did. It’s a fun way to learn.

So recently we were discussing idea of trying to translate a sutta that hasn’t been translated, for learning purposes, and it just got me to wondering how much of the canon is actually available in English in the first place. One member of the group brought up the Petavatthu as a possibility, and it was only in this thread that the translations on suttafriends.org became known to us. We might try one of those anyway, since they’re so interesting.

Also, I’m also a little obsessive about data questions like this and once something gets in my head I keep thinking about it. :man_shrugging:

random thought department I can imagine a giant overview table of every sutta-to-every-language, something like:
English Indonesian
PV1 Sujato, Bodhi… Ariyakumara
EA19.2 Sujato Ariyakumara

But maybe that would be hopelessly unwieldy.

4 Likes

If you can code, all the data you need is freely available in the GitHub repos for you build a table like that.

1 Like

Yes, I will look into it.

1 Like

Indeed, it would be unwieldy though. You’d be populating a spreadsheet or data-table with around 80,000 entries.

Another, perhaps more useful, application for such a huge data-table would be for the parallels. To have a high-level overview of parallels is sometimes useful. For example, you can easily see how the Vinaya rules match up in all traditions—except the sekhiyas, which really don’t.

2 Likes

Bhante, that’s not a too huge datasets for what spreadsheets and databases can handle nowadays.

@khagga , recently @ngvitor did something similar to scope and guide our work plan around Portuguese translations. Maybe he can help you?

:anjal:

4 Likes

I would really love to see your group do that! I think it’s a great text to work with as the Pali is not too complicated considering it is verses.

I had even thought of trying to organize a project like this. For Dhamma learning purposes, the translation on SuttaFriends.org is very good. However it’s not a very strict translation and it would be wonderful to have another one available that matched the Pali a bit closer (without being literal) and made a better distinction between the verses and the commentary.

There are a couple of translations already published by PTS, so they could also guide you. Sorry if this is all a bit off topic. But I think that The Vv and Pv are going to be the only thing you find on SC not translated that are even close to sutta style.

5 Likes