Is there anything as biting more than you can chew on this path?

I remember a quote by Buddha where he says “the only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”

And while the other proverb we have all grown up hearing that bugs me is "Do not bite more than what you could chew. "

Putting both of these in picture, how one should handle the choice of renunciation in life?

We know nothing beats renunciation when it comes to progress on this path. That’s the BEST ONE KNOWS.

But making that choice anytime in future, requires setting a base today. To avoid getting in tangles of marriage, kids and all. To have a volition for it etc. Also what if one gets filled with regret to have made this choice amidst the inability to continue walking on it at a later stage.

So what perspective my Sangha hear holds? I need your views. Especially those who have renounced or are living a very secluded life.

3 Likes

This might help:
https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/the-only-real-failure-in-life-is-not-to-be-true-to-the-best-one-knows/

5 Likes

@musiko An eye opener. And a relief. Thank you buddy.

4 Likes

This topic is entitled and starts with an open ended question and not with a specific question to which one will come up with a definitive answer. As it is likely that a discussion will ensue, hence the move to Discussion category, or potentially to the Watercooler.

3 Likes

Ok sir.

Way i see it, you have two choices and one default. Make a choice or be patient in your default state until such time as you gain enough wisdom to make the choice.

3 Likes

What is a person’s partner?
What is it that instructs him?
Taking delight in what is a mortal
Released from all suffering?”

“Faith is a person’s partner,
And wisdom is what instructs him.
Taking delight in Nibbāna, a mortal
Is released from all suffering

5 Likes

‘Until you gain enough wisdom’. Thats quite thoughtful… Workable.

2 Likes

Thank you for this. Its quite soothing…

2 Likes

If you get married your choice might be …less of a choice- your wife will be against you leaving with your promises to her, or your children will hold you to lay life. The next question is, is renunciation what you really want? Are you familiar with the basics of the path and have much exposure to the practices that are out there?

I suppose the thought of renunciation, and the desire to take steps for it, develops only at a stage when person has developed mindfulness and calmness to some extent. When one has tasted the truth of rising and passing of things within this body to some extent.

So please dont ask such personnel hitting questions. My motive is not to ask you people to gauge my Proficiency on the path.

1 Like

This is to help you think about it for yourself. It is helpful to reflect on these things, first, and not to put you ‘on the spot’ in public. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Although there is…

But since those who acquire and keep skillful qualities live happily in the present life, free of anguish, distress, and fever; and since, when their body breaks up, after death, they can expect to go to a good place, the Buddha praises acquiring skillful qualities.” SN22.2

2 Likes

I think this is what refer as gradual training.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.107.horn.html