Is there no Sujato Translation of this Sutta (Ud1.10)?

https://suttacentral.net/ud1.10

3 Likes

Bhante translated the four main nikāyas in his mega translation project. The Udāna is in the Khuddaka (fifth) nikaya.

For fullness of answer though, I should mention that, he has actually translated some bits of the KN: he edited Laurence Mill’s translation of the Sutta Nipāta and he is credited as the translator of some of those texts. He has also translated the Theragāthā with Jessica Walton. I could well imagine there are some other bits of text from the KN he’s translated that I’m unaware of, but I don’t believe anything from the Udāna will be among them.

7 Likes

The million dollar (or pound, rupee, shilling, peso, yen, etc.) question is: Does he plan on translating the entirety of the Khuddaka Nikaya? I have yet to hear mention of any plans to do so. Maybe we could start a Khuddaka translation fund, so he could go back to the island where he translated the four main Nikayas without imposing any financial burden on the host family.

:lotus:

6 Likes

With all the anjalis and so on, I think the question before that is should he? The whole thing? It’s like this big: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:                                                                                                                :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: A profitable use of time? :grinning:

That said, I regularly appeal to the devas that they might influence him to give us a translation of the Therīgāthā. :innocent: :wink:

9 Likes

But of course, the Therigatha, as well as the Bhikkuni Vinaya, should be first, and I know the Khuddaka is rather unwieldy, but wouldn’t it be amazing to have all of the extant literature translated in one place as great as Sutta Central?

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

:bowing_woman:

But of course! Most absolutely so!

I guess I’m just a roughty-toughty pragmatist and kinda have the feeling that we can still get somewhere without say the Milindapañha (it’s scandalous I know! It’s even more scandalous because I’ve never even really looked at it so am speaking from complete ignorance (that is, even more complete ignorance than normal :grin:)), or all the Jātaka (except for the ones I find deeply moving; a weighty list consisting exclusively of Ja 322 at the moment), or whatever. Were Bhante not also a gifted instructor it would be no great loss should he remain secluded on an island in the middle of wherever translating away, but as he is, if I had to choose between the Milindapañha and hearing the wisdom born of his practice, sorry, but I’m going for the latter.

Should I have a bean to spare at the time, I’ll still chip into the fund if you end up setting one up though. :smile: :anjal:

5 Likes

In light of your reply, you’ve thoroughly convinced me that a complete translation is indeed somewhat extraneous and unnecessary, and I do agree whole heartedly that Bhante @sujato’s teaching is far more valuable, even though he professes to be the kind of teacher who can make a simple teaching into something much more complex! :thinking: I’ve found that that style works for me because I tend to pay close attention to more challenging subjects, and I get to learn far more from a sutta than I would reading on my own.
:crazy_face:
(Ja 322 is a great reminder to me to give up reading about the President, as well as politics in general! )

5 Likes

Hold on a dang minute! I’d much rather have a million pounds sterling than a million rupees… :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Is there any translation of this Sutta that I would be able to use and publish that doesn’t have any copy write issues? The Bahiya sutta is one of the most important suttas for me and I really would like to include it in this book. Is there anyone that would be willing to translate it for the public domain if it is not available already?

3 Likes

Ven Ānandajoti’s is available (if you look under the info for that sutta you’ll see it is released under the CC 3.0 licence)

Translated by Bhikkhu Ānandajoti from the Buddha Jayanthi Tripitaka text. Version 2.2, revised February 2008.

The text and translation, together with detailed notes and discussions, may be found in multiple formats on the translator’s website, Ancient Buddhist Texts.

Used by kind permission of Bhikkhu Ānandajoti.

The original translation was released under the following licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Prepared for SuttaCentral by Bhikkhu Sujato.

I haven’t checked, but I think it’s very likely that Ven. Thanissaro’s translation is also released under a similar licence.

3 Likes

So I checked…

All of the content on this site is meant to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License. Most of the pre-2014 works are tagged with simple ‘for free distribution only’ language. More recent content is explicitly tagged with the Creative Commons (CC) License. Both licenses are meant to guide users to use and distribute the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma as explained above.

There is some uncertainty about the meaning of ‘Commercial’ with regard to the CC NonCommercial License. For example, some consider the sale of content to support a non-profit entity to be ‘NonCommercial.’ The author and copyright holder of the content on this site considers any sale, including by non-profit entities for non-profit purposes, to be ‘Commercial’ and a copyright violation.

To view a copy of this license, visit CC BY-NC 4.0 Deed | Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International | Creative Commons.

(dhammatalks.org)

A link to the sutta in question: Ud 1:10 Bāhiya Sutta | Bāhiya

2 Likes

Bhante @Sujato has indicated that translations of the “early books” of the KN will be forthcoming. Presumably that includes the Udana, Itivuttaka, Dhammapada, Sutta Nipata, Theragatha, Therigatha. That’s not a large amount of text relative to the first four nikayas.

Having those texts, and the Vinaya, available in English/Pali on the site, and in print/printable form will be a wonderful resource.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement! I am currently working on the Thera/Therigatha, and plan to translate the remainder of the early Khuddaka books over the next year.

I have no plan to translate the later Khuddaka books, but if anyone is interested SC would support this.

To make it happen, I will try to spend less time on D&D!

13 Likes

finally… :grin:

2 Likes

Do the early Khuddhaka books include the Dhammapada Bhante?

With Metta,

Ami

Sorry, I’m obviously not Bhante, but I can quote from his and Ajahn Brahmali’s book, The Authenticity of the Early Buddhist Texts:

0.1 Definitions

Early Buddhist Texts:

Texts spoken by the historical Buddha and his contemporary disciples. These are the bulk of the Suttas in the main four Pali Nikāyas and parallel Āgama literature in Chinese, Tibetan, Sanskrit, and other Indian dialects; the pātimokkhas1 and some Vinaya material from the khandhakas;2 a small portion of the Khuddaka Nikāya, consisting of significant parts of the Sutta Nipāta, Udāna, Itivuttaka, Dhammapada, and Thera- and Therī Gāthā. The “Suttas” in a narrow sense are those passages that are directly attributed to the Buddha himself (and to a lesser extent his direct disciples).

(Pages 9-10)

You can do a Ctrl+f to find other mentions of the Dhammapada in the book.

5 Likes