Is this chant in the suttas or vinaya?

In a Dhamma talk Bhikkhu Buddhadassa cited this chant and I’m asking if anyone knows if it’s in the suttas (if so, haven’t seen it), the Vinaya, or one of the commentaries.

Imāya dhammānudhamma patipatti pūja
Buddhaṁ Dhammaṁ Saṅghaṁ pūjemi

I appreciate these lines, especially as patipatti points not only to practice but also to moral conduct, knowledge, and attainment.

With thanks :pray:

just googled it

Imāya Dhammānudhammapaṭipattiyā Buddhaṁ pūjemi,
By this practice in conformity with the Dhamma I worship the Buddha,

imāya Dhammānudhammapaṭipattiyā Dhammaṁ pūjemi,
by this practice in conformity with the Dhamma I worship the Dhamma,

imāya Dhammānudhammapaṭipattiyā Saṅghaṁ pūjemi,
by this practice in conformity with the Dhamma I worship the Saṅgha,

addhā imāya paṭipadāya jātijarābyādhimaraṇamhā parimuccisāmi.
by this practice may I be freed from birth, old age, sickness and death.

Idaṁ me puññaṁ āsavakkhayāvahaṁ hotu.
May my merit bring about the destruction of the pollutants.

Idaṁ me puññaṁ Nibbānassa paccayo hotu.
May my merit be a condition for (gaining) Nibbāna.

Mama puññabhāgaṁ sabbasattānaṁ bhājemi,
I share my portion of merits with all beings,

te sabbe me samaṁ puññabhāgaṁ labhantu.
may all of them share my portion of merits evenly.

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Texts-and-Translations/Chanting-for-Meditators/33-Lovingkindness.htm

1 Like

Many thanks. :pray:

While the link provides the full text, it doesn’t identify the source of the text. Do you know what it is?

I believe that this is part of the, now traditional, puja chanted in Thailand. I think it was composed in the last 200 years. As far as I know it is not canonical.

Sri Lanka has its own traditional puja verses that are attributed to Arahant Mahinda.

Pujas weren’t really a thing at the time of the Buddha. So lots of what we see now was composed later.

3 Likes

Two sources in the sutta reference the concept of patipatti puja, one main source in the cmy.

Please don’t judge my post formatting, I’m on a mobile phone.

AN SuttaCentral
“There are these two kinds of worship. What two? Worship of material things and worship of the teaching. These are the two kinds of worship. The better of these two kinds of worship is worship of the teaching.”

DN SuttaCentral
Then the Buddha pointed out to Ānanda what was happening, adding: “That’s not how the Realized One is honored, respected, revered, venerated, and esteemed. Any monk or nun or male or female lay follower who practices in line with the teachings, practicing properly, living in line with the teachings—they honor, respect, revere, venerate, and esteem the Realized One with the highest honor. So Ānanda, you should train like this: ‘We shall practice in line with the teachings, practicing properly, living in line with the teaching.’

Cmy: Mahaparinibbana Sutta Commentary has discussion, some of which is quoted by Piya Tan here:
SD-9-Mahaparinibbana-S-d16-part-1-piya_221201_143041.pdf (2.0 MB) pp16-18.

None of these give the verses, which are later compositions.

5 Likes

Thanks very much.
As mentioned in the short OP, I didn’t think it was in the suttas, but couldn’t locate a source – for the reasons you offered.

True, although the “Namo tassa…” appears a few times in the suttas. Perhaps more of an honorific than a puja. :pray:

Right. I guess I meant “pujas as we know them today.”