Is Tushita heaven(heaven of gods who know satisfaction) located in formless realm?

But there are kalpas without a single Buddha called Sunna kalpa. So I don’t think this is relevant. Did the Buddha say this or is it abhidhamma or something?

Duration of kalpa is way longer than lifespan in any heavenly realm. Only in realm of gods which are higher than the realm of mahabrahma lifespan exceeds kalpa…below it’s not the case. Many uncountable generations of Tushita beings may come and go…but kapla is still longer. I have heard a Chan buddhist monk saying that… duration of kalpa means lifespan of this galaxy we live in. Many planets are destroyed, new ones created, same with stars many stars are destroyed again new are created…but galaxy is still there…so when galaxy in destroyed that is when kalpa ends. Length of kalpa cannot be measured in billions or trillions of years…because that is very very unimaginably minute.

Yes it is not completely relevant, it is partially relevant only… because this is not the case always.

Tushita is said to be more beautiful because of presence of Bodhisattva there.

I am just wondering here. Maybe Tuşita is not saitiation.

Tuşita contentment could be
by eradicating the 5 hindrances
contentment = wanting nothing
Thus is the front porch of the 1st jñāna

Tushita must be as it’s name suggests…a heaven of satisfaction.

" by pure generousity and pure morality and by developing these qualities further, one who loves learning dhamma, one who is bahushruta(knowing much of dhamma)(dhammadhara), discriminates what is right and what is wrong, desires liberation/nirvana above all, who is intensely attached to virtue(qualities of lord buddha), such a noble person is born in tushita heaven."

This above cause seems more appropriate. They maybe related to learning of five hindrances, contrary to complete eradication, I suppose. Jhanas are not necessary but might be there in Tushita as well…as far as I can think.

If you take kama loka to signify anthromorphimism, where things are known/traced via the six sense media, then what marks tusita heavens is that its dwellers are born through their kamma hence their presence in the sensuous realm is for the perfection of their pāramīs and their lineage is traced back to Brahmas in the rupa loka. Compare this to the devas in the tavatimsa heaven who are born spontaneously hence their relationship to planet earth is not cut off yet.

1 Like

Wonderful explanation sir!

So can we say that they fulfill their paramis and along with happiness experienced through senses, they also can experience happiness of jhanas/mental happinesses?

Also can we say all the beings born in Tushita heaven are Bodhisattvas?

As far as i understand, developing the Jhanas would enable perfecting the pāramīs hence “contented” is how Tusita heavens are described.

I do not know if all beings born in Tusita heavens are bodhisattas, but that bodhisattas are born there before their final human rebirth. It is possible that after sakka was converted, he was reborn in Tusita heaven. Converted Devatas can still lead humans to the Buddha’s path, such as with Bahiya.

1 Like

One question sir…

This & …

How do you differentiate between birth through karma(in case of Tushita beings) and spontaneous birth(in case of tavatimsa heaven beings)?
Plz elaborate…

I understand the former as per AN 5.57:

‘I am not the only one who is the owner of one’s kamma, the heir of one’s kamma; who has kamma as one’s origin, kamma as one’s relative, kamma as one’s resort; who will be the heir of whatever kamma, good or bad, that one does. All beings that come and go, that pass away and undergo rebirth, are owners of their kamma, heirs of their kamma; all have kamma as their origin, kamma as their relative, kamma as their resort; all will be heirs of whatever kamma, good or bad, that they do.’

And i understand the later as per AN 3.37:

“If, bhikkhus, there are few people who behave properly toward their mother and father … and do meritorious deeds, the four great kings report this to the Tāvatiṁsa devas when they meet and are sitting together in the Sudhamma council hall: ‘Revered sirs, there are few people who behave properly toward their mother and father … and do meritorious deeds.’ Then, because of this, the Tāvatiṁsa devas become displeased, saying: ‘Alas, the celestial company will decline and the company of asuras will flourish!’

The fixation about the war with the asuras is probably why Tāvatiṁsa devas are unable to let go of planet earth and its pity affairs. Being spontaneously reborn makes them dependent on the human womb as a supply chain, which makes them “blood relatives” of some sort and humans are their descendants.

1 Like

This answers my question! We can probably say that the relation between human beings and tavatimsa beings can be said to be like relation between Tushita beings and Brahma’s of rupaloka.

I was wondering about this because, my teacher monk(hailed as non-returner by many) said Tushita realm is in formless sphere. He is also said to have attained the ability to visit, see & interact with (beings of) 31 realms of existence by closing his eyes and sitting here only. Being pure theraveda monk, he can impart Mahayana & vajrayana teachings as well…so I trust him completely.

But he said that Tushita realm is located in formless sphere…so I am trying to find/relate meaning of what he said as many texts say it is located in desire realm(realm of forms). Now I think if it as, neither my teacher is wrong nor texts are wrong…but it might be like what you said sir…Tushita beings are descendents of higher Brahma beings(from maybe formless realms) but are in the sphere of form(desire) for fulfilment of their paramis.

Tusita is in sensual realm, not in form or formless realm.

One who attain and maintain jhana till end of life will go to form or formless realm (or brahma realm) depending on the mastery and ability to maintain it. Unless he has become an arahant, then all job is done.

Never trust anything until you can see/know personally. Who know he might just be hallucinating or dreaming. Just saying.

O btw, not easy to see higher realm beings unless you have pure/perfected sila and possibly samadhi as well. It is very very very rare nowadays.

Anyway good luck.

1 Like

He said ‘probably’…so he is not claiming anything. There’s a room for change there.

Thanx and Yes you are right…it’s very rare generally.

if one can see, most probably they see lower realm beings or lower level deva (catumaharajika). Higher level beings will not involve with human realm at all. Rarely they want to go to human realm.

For higher realm being, Human body is like a smell of pig for them. They avoid it like a plague.

Good luck.

Yes just like animals or insects are for us!

But along with that if any human (or monk) has purified mind(any among 4 stages of liberation) or someone who is virtuous, then some heavenly beings actually prefer company of such humans and would even serve them. We have many stories that show that.