Isn't five aggregates endlessly reappear is eternal?

According to Buddhism , the five aggregates will ceaselessly rebirth and that is a kind of eternity ? Because the beings are countless as seen in animal realm .

What Buddha said was he can’t see the beginning or the end of Samsara.
He refuse to answer whether it is eternal or not eternal.
Buddha warn against people who are trying to objectify five aggregate in MN1.

1 Like

“He perceives Nibbāna as Nibbāna. Having perceived Nibbāna as Nibbāna, he conceives himself as Nibbāna, he conceives himself in Nibbāna, he conceives himself apart from Nibbāna, he conceives Nibbāna to be ‘mine,’ he delights in Nibbāna. Why is that? Because he has not fully understood it, I say."

Nibbana here is a kind of state ? Mind object ?
Is this sutta genuine ebt or later ?

I am not sure. Perhaps Bhante @sujato or someone else may help.

The way I understand the Nibbana is the name given to a state where there is no attachment, aversion and ignorance. It is just like your name Raaj.
However mere cessation of attachment, aversion and ignorance is not Nibbana.
Nibbana is the cessation of perception and feeling.

As I said before I do not know what exactly Nibbana means even though I can imagine what it is. It is a state that you do not think that the five aggregate as I, me and myself.

If nibbana is not the abandoning of greed hatred delusion ? And cessation of perception feeling is nibbana , could you provide any sutta ?

Sorry, I can’t give it off the head unless someone else help you.
I will PM if I come across it again.

1 Like

You eliminate attachment, aversion and ignorance by following Noble Eightfold Path. But Nibbana is completed when you have the right knowledge and right release.

No, Nibbana is not the cessation of perception and feeling, the cessation of perception and feeling is a meditative experience beyond neither-perception-nor-non-perception (usually attained by an Anagami or Arahant). Nibbana is the cessation of dukkha through destruction of all defilements.

Agree.
Nibbana occurs when you emerge from cessation and perception and feeling.

“When a monk has emerged from the cessation of perception & feeling, friend Visakha, three contacts make contact: contact with emptiness, contact with the signless, & contact with the undirected.”[2]>

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.044.than.html#fnt-2

Which sutta may I know ?

Emptiness , signless , undirected is same as nibbana ?

No. It appears the threshold.

.Emptiness, the signless, & the undirected are names for a state of concentration that lies on the threshold of Unbinding. They differ only in how they are approached. According to the commentary, they color one’s first apprehension of Unbinding: a meditator who has been focusing on the theme of inconstancy will first apprehend Unbinding as signless; one who has been focusing on the theme of stress will first apprehend it as undirected; one who has been focusing on the theme of not-self will first apprehend it as emptiness.>

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.044.than.html#fn-2

AN 5.166 said that one who attain cessation of perception and feeling is possible not attaining Nibbana here and now, and being reborn again (i.e Anagami according to commentary):

Here, a monk, accomplished in moral virtue, accomplished in samadhi, accomplished in wisdom, might attain the cessation of perception and feeling — this is possible. But if he does not win direct knowledge here and now, having been reborn [having arisen] in some mind-made host of devas who have gone beyond feeding on material food.

This is not evidence .

Sorry, what is the Sutta?

Please read the sutta again, sometimes commentary can be a help to understand it…

AN 5.166

Thank you. Yes I have forgotten about it.
I am so pleased that you are in this forum.:grinning:
So this supports that cessation of perception and feeling is not the Arhanthood.

1 Like

So , this does not mean it is anagami either ?

I don’t know.
Because I am not an Anagami.
Good question by the way.
Perhaps @seniya may have an answer to it.

The sutta only said:

Here, a monk, accomplished in moral virtue, accomplished in samadhi, accomplished in wisdom, might attain the cessation of perception and feeling — this is possible. But if he does not win direct knowledge here and now, having been reborn [having arisen] in some mind-made host of devas who have gone beyond feeding on material food.

While many suttas said the cessation of perception and feeling is the ultimate meditative experience which will certainly lead to Arahanthood (and will not reborn again), this one said no. It said one who has attained the cessation of perception and feeling but not yet gained direct knowledge will be reborn in some mind-made host of devas . The Chinese Agama parallel in MA 22 said the same statement.

The question is what is this “some mind-made host of devas”? We don’t know if we don’t turn into the commentary. The commentary said this is Suddhavasa brahma realm which is the final dwelling place for Anagamis before they attain final Nibbana here.

Maybe you cannot except the commentarial explanation here because it’s not EBT, but I think it’s reasonable. Nevertheless, maybe bhante @sujato and other experts in EBTs have their own opinion on this…