It's official.. keeping you up to date

Hello everybody, it sure is encouraging to know that you are interested in how we are managing . As far as payments go we are making them on time. So far STX invoices have been for around USD 23,000.00 per month. Together with the invoice we get an itemised record of the work carried out, time taken and the hourly rate. @Bhante Sujato will check the work completed and okay the payment to be released to STX Next.
Biggest issue we have is the weak Aussie dollar, last time we only got 70 US cents per 1 AUD :frowning_face: The other thing is lack of activity on our donation page, https://suttacentral.net/donations
Some of our regular subscribers had to pull out due to life changes, this is normal. Last time I checked the donation data, the average revenue per customer was down to $1.50. I guess people get busy and get used to things , so it is easy to forget something like giving a small donation. That is why I was so happy that someone even asked.
I think it is my duty to let you know that we can definitely do with generosity (dana) at this point in time. Even if our users pay as little as one dollar pay day that will make a difference. With gratitude as always.

3 Likes

Dear @Deepika,

Thank you for the detailed information. If I understand correctly, you need around 150K for the project, which can roughly breakdown as the monthly charge of 23K Usd (30K Aud) from November till March 2018? (or till completion)?
Beside the cost of 150K for new project, SC still needs a monthly running cost of 5K to 10K ?
If so, SC users please remember the sustainability of SC depends on your continue support of as little as a “cup of coffee” a day :wink:.

Much metta and gratitude :anjal: .

3 Likes

Yes… that is right. You are always a great help. thanks :grin:

A little reminder:

“A gift of Dhamma conquers, all gifts;
the taste of Dhamma, all tastes;
a delight in Dhamma, all delights;
the ending of craving, all suffering
& stress.”
Dhp 354

With metta

1 Like

Dear Deepika,

Could you give us some updates about the funding objective/milestone? Maybe not numbers if you’d prefer not, but some hints about the need or not for some small/big donations in the coming weeks…

Many thanks in advance and good luck for the work on the project! :anjal:

3 Likes

@deepika do you want to give us an update?

1 Like

Dear @Deepika,

I’ve just noticed that Alliance for Bhikkhunis use PayPalGiving Fund. They charge no fees for charities. It would be helpful and good if you can check into this. It would also be convenient for oversea /international donors :smiley:.

Kind regards

1 Like

Good news is we are on track with the project and up to date with payments to the IT team.
Ninety nine percent of financial support to SuttaCentral come via the payment management system linked to the website. Usually supporters transact with their credit or debit card. Some supporters have set up a periodical payment and some make ad hoc contributions as and when they can. These payments are our bread and butter. As this has been happening for a little while we can make a safe assumption of the income before making commitments.
However, over the last few months we got some very special donations, I like to mention just two or this note will be painfully long.
First one was from @Bodhinyana foundation in Hong Kong. After teaching a retreat in November Ajahn Brahmali requested them to direct any post retreat donations to SC.
Second substantial donation was from Piyadammo Bhikku in Germany who said " Hi deepika, i’m piyadhammo. originally i was ordained in wat pah nanachat a little before tan sujato, so that’s the way we know each other. right now i have a small monastery in berlin, germany [really just a small rented flat with a very few students]. recently, i got wind of him looking for funds to materialize his translation."
So… like this little magic happens every day and help us go the extra mile. Thank you for asking!!

20 Likes

And thank you as always Deepika. :pray:

4 Likes

Wow. When I first saw the total I thought “there is no way they can raise that, I must be misreading or they must be out of their minds!”. But to see you already have 2/3 shows I underestimated the power of dāna, , I am really glad people contribute so generously to an effort like this.

Thank you for your work Venerable, vandāmi bhante, I will be making a donation

6 Likes

Hey I run this facebook page:

I would like to promote this project there but the audience is very international so I think copying this post would be too much for most of those without fluent English. Any suggestions on just a few details I could say along with a link to the donation & project pages?

1 Like

Just noticed this post is old. If any of my comments are now irrelevant please ignore :smiley:

Dear @Vann rakoon 27th June 2017

Arguably PayPal is a giant in the field of online payment systems and was considered before selecting Stripe for the job. The decision to use Stripe was based on factors such as cost, security, customer centricity,reliability and social responcibility.
Here are the reasons for our choice.
Stripe does not store customer’s credit cards details, they use a browser based script to process your payment and the card information entered will not be sent to your webserver, it is more secure because a hack or a beach of your server will not result in any stolen card data.
Paypal, as crazy as it sounds will not give us access to the data of our subscribers, basically they have the ownership. Stripe’s attitude is the exact opposite of this.
PayPal’s has random rules when it comes to risk mitigation, even for accounts in good standing, with few transactions based in low risk countries they can freeze the account. During this time they will hold the money and some account holders had their funds frozen for 180 days. Stripe is known to be much responsive and proactive to resolve any such issues.
Many people may not know that Paypal was a privileged baby born to Telsa and sold to EBay which helped the owners to make their first hundred million nearly two decades ago. On the other hand Stripe was born as a start-up baby.
In my humble opinion there is never a free lunch, there is a cost to everything, even a breath of air has a cost attached to it. It is best to pay for the services by oneself or someone else will be responsible for it.
:grinning:

5 Likes

Thanks so much! Maybe something like this:

SuttaCentral has been providing Buddhist suttas in the world’s languages for many years. Now they are launching a new site, together with a brand new translation of the 4 main Pali nikayas by Bhante Sujato. You can read more about the project on SuttaCentral’s forum here. And if you’d like to assist the project, their donations page is here: SuttaCentral

2 Likes

Is it better to say how many languages?
Is it possible to have the language icon in the first page so people can go streight to their language area?

2 Likes

So many people I talk to don’t realise they can SC in their own language. Hopefully this is clearer in the new design

6 Likes

I watched the video again and noticed some feature there to go to a specific language.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your explanation and much gratitude for your good work :anjal:

1 Like

Thank you Venerable, I’ve scheduled a post with this to publish tonight when most people engage with the page :slight_smile:

Yes, I actually made a screen-capture video showing how to access the translations in different languages once & posted it on facebook because I got the same impression, I don’t think many non-English speakers know of it as of now.

2 Likes