SuttaCentral

Jeff Bezos' Climate Change Plan

Bhante @sujato, I’m sure you know about this. Have you thought about starting a climate change group and applying for some of the $10 billion USD Bezos has pledged? If you did, I’d be curious to know what kind of project you’d embark on if you were able to get millions of USD. Many times I’ve thought about how, in countries like the US, there is so much vast, sparsely populated land that could be forested, or re-forested. Massive re-forestation projects (made possible with millions of dollars of Bezos’ money) seems like an easy win, but there might be other, more pressing issues.

1 Like

I know you asked Bhante Sujato, but imo the pressing issue is counter-lobbying the fossil fuel industry which continues to dump millions of dollars into politics to ensure their short-sighted agenda.

Remember that the CO2 that trees pull out of the air is still part of the carbon cycle. Once the tree dies, the carbon keeps flowing. The only way to keep carbon out of the air for long is to bury it deep underground. So: planting a few trees means nothing if the oil, gas, and coal companies are still pulling millions of tons out of deep reservoirs.

2 Likes

Good point, but I think you would easily burn through millions of dollars (which is nothing to the fossil fuel industry) without accomplishing anything. Then the money is gone, and you’re where you started.

I’m talking about planting millions of trees. With $10 million USD, you could create HUGE forests. Reading about some of the groups mentioned in this article doing reforestation, and how they empower and employ local people to do it, are good examples Can planting billions of trees save the planet? | Trees and forests | The Guardian

1 Like

If lobbying weren’t effective, they wouldn’t be doing it.

2 Likes

I didn’t say lobbying was ineffective. Over very long periods of time with regular infusions of money, it can be effective. I was simply saying that in the situation I’m envisioning , where there was only a one-time cash infusion, and that infusion was small change compared to the sums oil companies can through around, the money might be better spent on a hands-on project that produces real, immediate, and beneficial results. If you read through Bhante’s writings on climate change found here Writings · The Monastery at the End of the World, he doesn’t seem particularly enamoured with the effectiveness of the methods employed to halt it up to now. Obviously, I can’t speak for Bhante, though. We’ll just have to wait to see how he responds, if he does (he’s very busy right now with the new SuttaCentral rollout).

The largest five stock market listed oil and gas companies spend nearly $200m (£153m) a year lobbying to delay, control or block policies to tackle climate change, according to a new report.

Yikes. From here Top oil firms spending millions lobbying to block climate change policies, says report | Oil and gas companies | The Guardian

1 Like

And the bad news is that we have already damaged the largest forest in the planet so much it’s now become a net emitter of greenhouse gas!

Yay, Mara must be super happy! And a really big lot of trees, probably elsewhere, would be needed to just offset that! :sweat_smile:

My bet is that the next thing to happen is a “tundra event” in which a heatwave up in Northeast Asia will finally break the permafrost and trigger a huge release or methane, which is more problematic than CO2 by a factor of 28-36 times!

:man_shrugging: :frowning_face:

1 Like

Shouldn’t Jeff Bezos be leading by example?

I’m under the impression he was forced into donating money to battle climate change to salvage his public image. I think it’s mostly a PR gimmick. Either way, it doesn’t matter what his motivation is, so long as people use that money for good.

He does not have to if he can afford buying carbon credits :wink:

No!

Burn the money.

Seriously. Just make a big pile of cash and burn it. There’s too much of the stuff.

8 Likes

I think just promoting veganism is very helpful already. As monks are not supposed to receive, buy or sell, it’s very hard to make use of such things. Better let lay people be the climate activist.

I do have green 8fold path (based on noble 8fold path) presentation/ talk. So if lay people wanna do such things, can invite me to give such talks! Haha.

1 Like

Just got an idea. See if anyone wants to run it.

Get the money to hire some environmental engineers and produce the product.

Product: dynamo easily placed in any location where entropy is not utilised to the max. Or solar cells. Energy generated is going to a small machine which traps carbon in the air into soot or something solid. Have a global count of who can trap the most carbon. Make the whole device cheap so that anyone can purchase. Design global competition, corroborate with captain planet to assign award names. Like Earth level, Fire level, Captain Planet level.

Participants can get the solid carbon out of the machine and put them into a dug hole to put the carbon back into the ground.

Location of energy generator: natural waterfall, car engine, kettle boiling water, if solar cells, just anywhere with sun. Water when it goes down from the roof can also be used to generate electricity with the dynamo.

Use most of the money in marketing this as basic human duty for our own survival. Especially the youths would like to be able to do something. Make the device super cheap.

A lot of research has been going on in this field. A friend of mine told me about small devices like this you can place in running water to generate electricity. I don’t have names or links, though.

I just read an article about new wind power devices. The article mentioned these two companies: https://vortexbladeless.com/, https://alpha-311.com/. The first makes a bladeless turbine powered by oscillation. The second:

Alpha 311, which began in a garden shed in Whitstable, Kent, has begun manufacturing a small vertical wind turbine that it claims can generate electricity without wind. The 2 metre turbine, made from recycled plastic, is designed to fit on to existing streetlights and generate electricity as passing cars displace the air.

Haha, OK. Fair enough.

That isn’t very environmentally friendly! All joking aside, I’m sure you have enough on your plate as it is.

I just read this article, which has some amazing examples of rehabilitating destroyed environments, like China’s Loess Plateau: ‘Our biggest challenge? Lack of imagination’: the scientists turning the desert green | Environment | The Guardian. What China accomplished is truly amazing. Here’s a before and after picture:

The article also has a link to this documentary Green Gold - Documentary by John D. Liu - YouTube, which is worth watching. It’s about the work of John Liu.

Environmental film maker John D. Liu documents large-scale ecosystem restoration projects in China, Africa, South America and the Middle East, highlighting the enormous benefits for people and planet of undertaking these efforts globally.

1 Like