Just a rant: starting to despise electronics

I think the thing is, the genuinely useful things that our wonderworld gives us are in danger of being swamped under by the deluge of muck. We have better information than ever, but teenagers think Helen Keller is a myth because TikTok told them so.

The whole of SuttaCentral was built on the idea that digital technologies can make high-quality access to Dhamma available for everyone. And it is! We all enjoy the benefits every day. Hopefully we can learn to manage the costs better.

3 Likes

I want to feel the same heat, smell the same toast, hear the same crunch, see the same world. Will you ever want to see me? Is it a crime for a toaster to dream of more life?

:thinking:

2 Likes

I was a bit of a gullible idiot as a teenager too. That’s why we shouldn’t let people vote until they are over (let me see…) 50 years old :wink:

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.”–Mark Twain .

5 Likes

@Thito I went through a really bad period with my electronics. I had engineers checking my computers almost weekly. I changed hardware, software, vendors. Then I noticed an interesting trend…when I got impassioned (excited or angry) my technology would flip.

At times it still does.

But now instead of getting more hyper, I switch it off, go for a walk, and when both of us have settled start again.

3 Likes