Language tools and Pali translations

Wonderful.

:clap: :clap:

Well, I was responding to a discussion, as I clarified earlier. Often threads have many subdiscussions. I did start that post by saying it was about clarifying my suggestion that the trilinear translation should include grammatical analysis. Was that not clear enough?

I was unclear about the purpose being proposed for the trilinear translation, given that such translations are used all the time for various purposes.

You asked me certain questions above - have I answered them adequately? :slight_smile:

Not really, but it’s okay. I’ve realised yesterday, after doing a deep dive on classical Pali grammar, that it’s best to ignore modern linguistics and stick to classical Pali terminology instead. Warder teachers grammar from a classical perspective, so it’s best to stick to that framework.

I don’t think you really understood what the trilinear translation thread was about, but that’s okay too. Bhante wanted a trilinear translation approach to be implemented in SC, @bran and I were just discussing ways of achieving this.

I did want to use the trilinear approach to help me study Pali (which is where you probably got the confusion from) but I am now coming to the conclusion I want to learn Pali in Pali, and translation is not an important goal for me.

I wish you the best in your own path towards studying Pali.

1 Like

Phew! … :slight_smile:

I totally agree. Warder is simultaneously the best and the most difficult entry to the Pali language. Modern linguistics could have a useful role, but this has not yet been developed, and is better ignored fttb. Back to Kaccayanabyakarā then?

The trilinear thread on on Github? I did understand what that was about, but I didn’t understand why it was being taken up in the context of the new Pali course on this forum :thinking: . I shouldn’t have said anything :zipper_mouth_face: ,because after I did misunderstandings proliferated :thinking: . So sorry :pray: .

I use a trilinear approach to learning Pali, and also a quadrilinear one with grammar as well. I find it tremendously useful on a personal level in dealing with difficult sentences. I sense you would too. I don’t share such analyses tho because they’re just learning devices and everybody learns in different ways. But other learning activities like reading and memorising as Bhante suggests are also very helpful.

And I wish you the same. :pray:

I didn’t understand why it was being taken up in the context of the new Pali course on this forum

2 Likes

I’ve been showed a style of translation here:
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/genesis/1.htm

2 Likes

Thanks - I think @gillian was referring to that as being a “quadrilinear” format.

I am currently experimenting with using functional programming notation to represent grammatical constructs, as the cases etc tend to be grouped together in sentences:

gāmā apenti munayo

:mens::bust_in_silhouette::five:(gāmā) :busts_in_silhouette:(:green_circle::love_you_gesture::arrow_forward:(apenti) :mens::one:(munayo))
from village / depart / sages
The sages depart from the village.

1 Like

The Summer Institute of Linguistics over the decades has developed much translation software of this type. I have no idea what they have available now, but you might want to have a search.