Lay Arahants. Why not?

Yet the Arahats were wearing robes and living off alms food. Perhaps aspire for non-return…

Oh and one more thing, these days, where can one ordain outside a monastery?

Who knows alaber, you might get lucky and destroy the taints on your deathbed. Provided you have good friends who can encourage you and question you as you go. “In the The Gilāyana Sutta (S 55.54), the Buddha tells how a lay follower in his/her deathbed can become a Arahant. And the lay followers liberation (while in his deathbed) is no different to that of a monk.”

Hahahahaha brahmali already shut you down. Sigh. Sorry buddy, you really don’t know when to quit.
-karuna

That’s not the Buddha teachings. It’s Jains and Brahmanic ideas that “awakening” happens on dying.

I think you will find you are mistaken, and a lay person should be encouraged to abandon all forms of existence as they are dying…

You can’t just one box half a post and deceive people. That’s very rude.

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Sadhu!

Sorry you find it rude. That was not my intention. Just wanted to answer part of your posting.
And where is the deception of pointing to other tradition beliefs.

I forgive you, you can find your answer here
"In the The Gilāyana Sutta (S 55.54), the Buddha tells how a lay follower in his/her deathbed can become a Arahant. And the lay followers liberation (while in his deathbed) is no different to that of a monk."

2 Likes

I just go by what I know for myself, having spent roughly half my practising life as both lay and ordained, and offer whatever I know to interested others for whatever it may be of value in furthering the development of skilful views.

1 Like

But what do you know for yourself, what do you do to develop such knowledge?

1 Like

I keep eight precepts, practice the noble eightfold path as best I can and I spend at least 8.25 hours to 10.5 hours at the dhammaloka temple from Friday to Monday. I go to every meditation class, Sutta class and every group discussion with the monastic of the week. I’m 28. I’m not enlightened. I have a good heart, I meditate, I read the Suttas, I spend as much time with the teachers as I can (Ajahn Brahm even let’s me be his bodyguard haha) I listen to dhamma talks (including every Wednesday night monastic talk using the bodhinyana online library (1994-2018) , take care of my friends, try to be kind, compassionate and I give A LOT of dana. I have only convictions (faith in the dhamma) to offer you. I don’t think I answered your question somehow, but I did my best.
-karuna

2 Likes

Sir, can I ask a question? Are you lay or monastic? Did you disrobe? Oh sorry the fact that you have a lay name is an indication that you have ‘gotten off the elephant’. I’m not a monk but I plan to become a mendicant. Thanks for the question, I guess I don’t know much, I just trust my teachers (brahm, brahmali, Sujato etc.) I also know some other things that I can’t disclose, I have to protect my friends. Anyway, it seems that now we have met.
-peace

The gradual training. That is my conviction. :smiley:

Please see my profile.

1 Like

Yes sir, sorry to get personal.
-karuna

Once the Venerable Anuruddha went to see the Venerable Sariputta. When they had exchanged courteous greetings he sat down and said to the Venerable Sariputta: “Friend Sariputta, with the divine eye that is purified, transcending human ken, I can see the thousandfold world-system. Firm is my energy, unremitting; my mindfulness is alert and unconfused; the body is tranquil and unperturbed; my mind is concentrated and one-pointed. And yet my mind is not freed from cankers, not freed from clinging.”
“Friend Anuruddha,” said the Venerable Sariputta, “that you think thus of your divine eye, this is conceit in you. That you think thus of your firm energy, your alert mindfulness, your unperturbed body and your concentrated mind, this is restlessness in you. That you think of your mind not being freed from the cankers, this is worrying in you. It will be good, indeed, if the Venerable Anuruddha, abandoning these three states of mind and paying no attention to them, will direct the mind to the Deathless Element.”

And the Venerable Anuruddha later on gave up these three states of mind, paid no attention to them and directed his mind to the Deathless Element. And the Venerable Anuruddha, living then alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, with determined mind, before long reached in this very life, understanding and experiencing it by himself, that highest goal of the Holy Life, for the sake of which noble sons go forth entirely from home into homelessness. And he knew: “Exhausted is rebirth, lived is the holy life, the work is done, nothing further remains after this.” Thus the Venerable Anuruddha became one of the Arahats.

I’m 28, I’m not enlightened, I have a good heart, I meditate, I read the Suttas, I spend as much time with the teachers as I can, I listen to dhamma talks, take care of my friends, try to be kind, compassionate, and I give a lot of dana.

The Buddha can not be found without, it is found within. Your feelings are akin to Anuruddha’s states of vexation. Pay no attention to thoughts of who you think you are or what you think you’re doing and to whatever merits you believe you have. That which is deathless is unattainable by worrying, hoping, and seeking for it. Instead, put all of those thoughts and concerns aside.

“Ajahn Sumedho started out life at Ajahn Chah’s monastery as a very zealous, hyperkeen monk…he was convinced that Ajahn Chah was the greatest dharma teacher and the most enlightened master.” But, over time he noticed flaws in Ajahn Chah, such as smoking, gaining weight, and talking with people instead of meditating. He chided the dharma teacher in private and asked him to set a better example. He expected an intense reaction but instead “Ajahn Chah looked at him gently and said, ‘Well, I’m very grateful to you Sumedho for bringing up these things up to me. I’ll really consider what you’ve said and see what can be done. But also you should bear in mind that perhaps it’s a good thing that I’m not perfect. Otherwise you might be looking for the Buddha somewhere outside your own mind.’ There was a long and poignant silence. Then the young Sumedho crawled away simultaneously heartened and chastened.” (Amaro Bhikkhu)

3 Likes

Thanks, all these things I take myself to be aren’t a hinderence, they bring happiness. I’m not concerned about the taints and I’m not in a rush to be liberated, though in the past I have had a strong sense of urgency. I’m not sure why you think I am vexed. I have a very simple life and I possibly know more Ariyas than any other lay person using this web site (because I have access to two of the world’s best monasteries, bodhinyana and dhammasara. I have also visited three monasteries in New South Wales and have friends there too).