Let The Light Shine: Reflections from Theravada Bhikkhunis

New book of Dhamma reflections and life experiences by bhikkhunis just became available in digital format, in advance of print copies becoming available. It is wonderfully inspiring.

Sutta Central is lauded on p. 46 at footnote 12. :smiley:

32 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. :pray:

8 Likes

Just wanted to connect this thread here:

This is a great book. @Charlotteannun gives a wonderful over view of the Maha Parinibbana Sutta.

I also really enjoyed reading the essay/interview with Ayya Dipa. I attended her first samaneri ordination at the Bhavana Society. She was the first person I ever saw get ordained. I had the good fortune to meet her again years later after she had taken high ordination and was living with Ayya Gunasari. I was really shocked just a few years to hear that she had passed away. Her essay/interview in this book was done right before she died.

5 Likes

Thanks, your post caused me to re-read Dipa’s chapter, and to reminisce about my time with her at Bhavana and afterward. In a way, I brought her together with her preceptor Ayya Gunasari.

In 2009, I happened to be briefly visiting Ruth Dennison’s place in Joshua Tree (the same desert as Ayya Gunasari’s monastery), part of a small group of bhikkhunis on a Dhamma tour in southern California, when laywoman Dipa dropped by. She was traveling together with someone whom I knew too well as an unwholesome person.

Dipa and I had barely been on speaking terms in previous years due to a terrible disappointment she had suffered in part due to me (not my fault but long story). But at Ruth’s, to Dipa’s surprise, I pulled her aside, gave her my maps of the locale (something valuable in that area back then), and spoke to her about Ayya Gunasari. I thought they’d be good for each other, for Ayya G needed practical help in which Dipa had skills, and Dipa needed a teacher; I strongly recommended that she get to know Ayya Gunasari. They had met a few days or so earlier, but Dipa wasn’t inclined to return. I encouraged her to give Ayya G a chance.

Separately, when I got to visit Ayya Gunasari, I asked her about Dipa; Ayya G said she wanted nothing to do with Dipa because of the bad nature of the person whom Dipa had accompanied on their visit there. I acknowledged the problems with the other person but spoke well of Dipa and urged Ayya G to give her a chance.

Not long after, I rejoiced to hear that Dipa was staying with Ayya G. I cheered from a distance as Dipa went forth again, and was in awe when she finally gained full ordination.

I wept when Dipa announced she wouldn’t seek treatment for her cancer and quickly declined, and sent blessings by phone a bit too late for her to talk.

But I felt jealous to hear of her awesome death, passing away peacefully surrounded by nuns chanting for her. What a way to go.

13 Likes

Is there a way to buy this book as hard copy? I couldn’t find it on Amazon or other independent outlets.

3 Likes

Aloka Vihara’s website says they have a few copies for distribution so perhaps contact them?

1 Like

FWIW, publishing info from the inside cover

2 Likes

Thank you! I was able to find a hard copy on eBay.

1 Like