Linking in to previous topic about a Buddhist's response to engage or disengage

Hello Rosie

I should first say, I just finished watching Planet of the Humans and really, I think my less than enthusiastic comment referring to Virginia’s clean power may have to be watered down a good deal more. :disappointed:

Which shows that disappointment is just around the corner for one with ‘hope’! And it would seem that it is the very fact that we can’t help hoping (wanting/wishing/craving), that is exploited by people who will sell us lies wrapped up in truth.

It all gets so complicated that at times we become the sellers, not knowing we’re pedaling false hopes. I am thinking of the documentary I just watched. But this applies to Dhamma too, I remember @Brahmali once teaching us what the Buddha said about his own Dhamma and its decline: specifically that one of the ways it would become corrupted was when people who knew a great deal about it, but had aspects of wrong view, would teach this slightly wrong path and sway many people off the right trajectory. It would look and feel and sound like the real thing, use the same terminology…but it wouldn’t take us to that final ending. I think there are plenty of incorrect ‘Dhammas’ out there, many given out of genuine faith and sincere motivations.

In reflecting on your question:

I go back to what my primary meditation teacher says about the two types of Buddhist meditation. Ajahn Brahm would start off by asking, “what are the two types of meditation in Buddhism?” Then he’d tell us, taking it right back to the core framework of the Dhamma, taking it right back to the Buddha, “Second Noble Truth Meditation and Third Noble Truth Meditation”.

I think this helps me to answer your question a little…

It depends on how you define ‘hope’.

If you define it as something based in wanting/craving (2nd Noble Truth), then yes, it will sometimes lead to sorrow and disillusionment and sometimes to fulfilment, achievement and happiness - all of it impermanent and ultimately, according to the wise, suffering. A lot of what we aspire for and hope for, whether wholesome or unwholesome, if based in our external world of the 5 senses, is unreliable.

If you define hope as something embedded within the context of the 3rd Noble Truth…well…that seems to be a whole different ball game. It’s not a hope with a linear (or even curved) trend that leads somewhere. It’s an inner hope that brings a smile and stops you in your tracks, dissolves shadows and makes life clearer. It doesn’t feel like ordinary hope, yet hope is a good word to describe it. It is the inner evidence of the Dhamma in action and how it helps you and therefore others. It is very hopeful because at every step it gives you feedback that the path (practised correctly) works. And one feels resourced, not alone, steadier; one feels a sense of agency. It fosters letting go, a decrease in consumption (this is where the new environmental movement has to go) and a different take on kindness. It’s not a hope that asks the world or it’s beings to be anything other than what they are… Which reminds me of Ajahn Brahm saying, “suffering is asking from the world what it can never give you.” This type of hope is the smile you get on your face when you give up the other type of hope, and it’s the smile that is the energy that powers you as you continue to cultivate the path. But this doesn’t mean it’s easy. Didn’t the Buddha say that overcoming our mind, is harder than overcoming an army?

So yeah, I think there’s hope in Buddhism. But two kinds - one we can’t help doing, it’s part of our mechanism of living and existing and will be there until the end and sometimes it gets in the way of the more helpful and nourishing kind, so much so that we rarely go looking for the helpful hope, rarely recognise it or it’s value. That second kind requires some hard work at times - a lot of time with our eyes closed. But it has a pay off. And I think the sense of the work being hard eases up more and more, but only if we don’t let up.

This is what we have to offer the world now. Even that’s only possible if we can give it to ourselves first.