Looking for a sutta on "why it is allowable to teach the Dhamma"

I’m sure I remember reading a sutta that goes something like:

• [The Buddha:] Some people will develop skillful qualities whether they hear the Dhamma or not
  • Some people will develop unskillful qualities whether the hear the Dhamma or not
  • But some people will only develop skillful qualities if they hear the Dhamma, and will develop unskillful qualities if they don’t hear the Dhamma

The conclusion is something like the Buddha saying that “he allows the teaching of the Dhamma” for the benefit of this third group.

I wasn’t able to find it using the search function or Google.

I think the wording was something like their minds would “alight” or “align” towards skillful qualities.

Anyone know which one this is? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting one! I look forward for the answer(s)! :anjal:

1 Like

Found it! It’s AN 3.22:

In the same way, these three people similar to patients are found in the world. What three? Some people don’t enter the sure path with regards to skillful qualities, regardless of whether or not they get to see a Realized One, and to hear the teaching and training that he proclaims.

Some people do enter the sure path with regards to skillful qualities, regardless of whether or not they get to see a Realized One, and to hear the teaching and training that he proclaims.

Some people can enter the sure path with regards to skillful qualities, but only if they get to see a Realized One, and to hear the teaching and training that he proclaims, and not when they don’t get those things.

Now, it’s for the sake of this last person that teaching the Dhamma is prescribed, that is, the one who can enter the sure path with regards to skillful qualities, but only if they get to see a Realized One, and to hear the teaching and training that he proclaims. But also, for the sake of this person, the other people should be taught Dhamma.

These are the three people similar to patients found in the world.”

6 Likes