SuttaCentral

Looking for a translation of a Korean documentary (3 min)

A few years ago, a nun friend of mine was featured in a Korean documentary about monastic life. She doesn’t have an account on D&D, and has asked me to make this post on her behalf. She’s curious to know what they said about her.
Does anyone speak Korean and can translate what they say between 1.00 and 4:00 mins? And what the “poem” means that they show at around 3:50 mins?

5 Likes

Hi, I have a Korean Dhamma friend. I will contact him to see if he can help.

Thanks

Mark

3 Likes

Hi, this is the translation he kindly shared:

1:00- About 패엽경 (The first generation sutra that is written on the palm leaves during 1st century). It teaches ‘let go, let go of that painful mind’ - be cautious of the greed inside of you.

1:27 - narrative of scenes: walking barefoot is to solely feel the senses and to walk slowly.

Monkhood is not for gaining the food but for the practice. It is impartial act, that can empty my mind and let others to share with others.

2:16 - The bodhi tree, a tree of trust from India, grew big. The place where Buddha’s teaching is alive and solid is this Sri Langka.

2:32- All of monks foods are gathered in one place for everyone to share. It is also the time for practitioner to let go of the greed.

2:50 - No matter how good the food is, it becomes toxins rather than nutrients if it’s taken too much. Sutra teaches that letting go of attachment to food is shortcut to good health and taking caring of your mind.

3:50 (text) - [ Even though he wears a rag, if he behaves according to the truth and rule, and contemplate in tranquility without attachment to anything, he is real Brahmana] - Dhammapada.

4:04 - The only highest Buddhism town, Mandalena? in Myanmar. Myanmar today follows the Buddha’s rule as same as Buddha’s era such as monkhood.

Perhaps what buddha said 2500 years ago here ‘there will be great city built here’ has actually happened here.

One of three main sacred places in Myanmar- Mahamuni Pagoda. It’s covered by the gold as of today, weighing 12 tons. Only men are allowed to attach the gold foils there. Women prays sincerely.

I hope this helps.

Mark

8 Likes

Wow, that’s great. Thanks so much to you and your friend!

And welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

XXVI 395. The person who wears a robe made of rags, who is lean, with veins showing all over the body, and who meditates alone in the forest — him do I call a holy man."—Dhp

Happy to help. And thanks for your welcome!