Looking for some verses in the Buddhist Canon

Hi, recently I’m looking for some verses in the Buddhist Canon,

I’m wondering in which Buddhist texts have you seem similar teachings like these?

By rescuing those approaching a place where they will be killed,

And likewise giving life to others,

And turning harm away from living beings,

You will acquire a long life span.

Through caring for the sick,

Through a doctor’s giving medicine to the sick,

And through not harming living beings with sticks,

Clumps of earth, and the like, you will be without illness.

By relying on kindness

And giving jewelry, you will have a good physical form.

The result of being without jealousy

Is said to be good fortune.

Thank you very much for any kind help!

1 Like

“Student, beings are owners of kamma, heir to kamma, born of kamma, related through kamma, and have kamma as their arbitrator. Kamma is what creates distinctions among beings in terms of coarseness & refinement.”
[…]
8. “But here some woman or man is not one who harms beings with his hands, or with clods, or with sticks, or with knives. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination… If instead he comes to the human state, he is healthy wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to health, that is to say, not to be one who harms beings with his hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives.” —Majjhima Nikaya 135, Pali Canon

1 Like

The teaching’s very high degree of specificity about vipāka makes it unlikely to be an EBT.

If you haven’t already done so, the logical place to start would be the Yogācārabhūmi, since this is the text on which Tsongkhapa was commenting when he quoted the lines in your post. If you can find the source there then you might come to learn whether it’s author (Asaṅga or pseudo-Asaṅga) was quoting from a sūtra or just presenting his own pratibhāna.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot!

MN 135. Cūḷakammavibhaṅgasuttaṁ 小業分別經

《中阿含170經》鸚鵡經(大正1.703.),No.78.《兜調經》(大正1.887.),No.79.《鸚鵡經》(大正1.888.),No.80.《佛為首加長者說業報差別經》(大正1.891.),No.81.《分別善惡報應經》(大正1.895.)

Thanks a lot! What does EBT mean?

In fact, through rough search I didn’t find match in Yogācārabhūmi, and waiting for more detailed search…

I found the Chinese text this English text is translated from, but I can’t find anything in the Chinese canon that matches any of the lines. I tried searching for bits that would probably be in the earlier translations (the 菩提道次第廣論講記 is something like Song dynasty era or later), but still no luck. I’m guessing its quoted from something not preserved in Chinese. As you say, it doesn’t look like material drawn from the Yogācārabhūmi, either.

3 Likes

Early Buddhist texts.

4 Likes

thanks very much!

maybe this one:)
https://suttacentral.net/an5.37/en/sujato

1 Like

It just occurred to me that the Karma-vibhanga, an extant Skt text, may be a source for these verses. See, for example, the chapter on attaining a long life.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your info! and about the Garland of Birth Stories, Jataka(本生故事),

I’m looking for the original stories of the following verses:

1.Jm: 32.7-9; P5650:59.5.7-60.1.2.

By accustoming themselves to virtuous and nonvirtuous karma

Humans become habituated to these actions.

Though you may ignore such matters,

In other lives you will experience their effects, like a dream.

Those who do not train in generosity, ethical discipline, and the like

May have good family lineages, good bodies, and health,

And may have great power or enormous wealth,

But they will not find happiness in future lives.

As for those whose family lineage and such are inferior but who are not attached to sin

And who have qualities such as generosity and ethical discipline,

Their happiness in future lifetimes will grow

As surely as the monsoons of summer fill up the ocean.

Once you have become certain that virtuous and nonvirtuous karma

Give rise to happiness and suffering in lives beyond,

Eliminate sins and make effort at virtuous actions.

You without faith, do as you will.

and this one:

2.Jm: 15.1,28.16-17,29.2; P5650:26.45,40.2.3-5,513.6-7.

Alas, afflicted and worldly persons,

I do not like unstable things.

Even this glorious white water lily (kumada)

Will become a memory.

Alas, it is amazing that you beings are fearless,

Placed in a realm like this.

You are joyous and act unworried

Though the Lord of Death blocks every path.

As you have the powerful, dangerous, and unstoppable enemies

Of sickness, aging, and death,

You surely will go to a fearful place in the next life.

1 wonder what thoughtful person would delight in this?

Could you please help me to find the exact original text where’s the verses come from?

Thanks a lot!

1.about " Kaumudī-day"
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/English-Texts/Garland-of-Birth-Stories/32-The-Story-of-Ayogrha.htm

I’m wondering if Kumuda flowers still could be found in India , and people are still celebrating the Kaumudī festival nowadays?

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/English-Texts/Garland-of-Birth-Stories/15-The-Story-of-the-Fish.htm

What does this mean “You without faith, do as you will.”? There’s no such text in the English version.

It quotes Jataka-mala, Vaidya 1959a (Jm) —— Garland of Birth Stories。Jm: 15.1,28.16-17,29.2; P5650:26.45,40.2.3-5,513.6-7.

Thanks!

Kumuda is the name for the hairy white water lily, and still exists.

Kaumudī Mahotsava festival : A festival of Moonlight. It sounds like it was the longer precursor to many festivals celebrated around the same time period .Also a name of a play.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks!Does the text means the water lilies are at their most beautiful in a year on this Kaumudi festival?

Maybe the Kaumudi day has last for eons and eons! it’s from our Buddha’s birth story! long before our known history.,

1 Like

Actually I don’t know ccy.
I guess if it is the wet season at a location they would be growing well and blooming. The festival does coincide with the post monsoon season, so perhaps they are.

They also do open up at night ( bat or moth pollinators perhaps) which would make them look captivating under moonlight :cherry_blossom::first_quarter_moon_with_face:

It’s always fascinating to read about flora and fauna in the texts. Thanks for your question :pray:t4:

2 Likes