Loving kindness and the Brahma Viharas - Kalangala the nun and the place?

Kajarigala Bhikkhkuni in the DIGHA NIKAYA sutta #33

We have a wonderful poem on the Bramha Viharass in DN 33, but there is no identification of where Kajarigala is located - does anyone know? I could not find it in the Pali Proper Names Dictionary on Pali Kanon. Here below is the poem:

“Escapes”

The Kajarigala Bhikkhkuni in the DIGHA NIKAYA sutta #33:

"This is the escape from ill will,
i.e., the good-will awareness release…

This is the escape from harmfulness,
i.e., the compassion awareness release…

This is the escape from resentment,
i.e., the empathetic-joy awareness release…

This is the escape from passion,
i.e., the equanimity awareness release…

This is the escape from themes [of concentration],
i.e., the theme-less awareness release…

This is the escape from the arrow of uncertainty & perplexity,
i.e., the destruction of the conceit ‘I am.’"

After learning [her] explanation of the catechism, the householders of Kajarigala go to the Buddha and report what she said. The Buddha praises her discernment, and states that he would have given the same explanation as she.

From: Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Skill in Questions, APPENDIX TWO (Valley Center, CA: Metta Forest Monastery, 2010), pp. 483- 491

3 Likes

You’ll have to double check with someone who has actually proper, verified knowledge, but a quick search leads me to guess that “Kajarigala” is the Sanskritic (or some other) form of “Kajaṅgalā”, an entry for whom can be found here. The DPPN entry for her home town can be found here, and in that entry you’ll see a mapped location.

Curiously though, I can’t find any mention of a bhikkhuni in DN33. The bit in question seems to come from the section on the sixes and is paralleled in AN6.13, again no bhikkhuni. A mystery remains ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Kalangala bhikkhuni is mentioned in AN 10.28 which discussed a series of questions connected with the ones mentioned in DN 33, but differ from the questions discussed above.

Thanks to Aminah and Seniya for their comments. First, my scan of Thanissaro Bhikkhu’s Appendix [From: Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Skill in Questions, APPENDIX TWO (Valley Center, CA: Metta Forest Monastery, 2010), pp. 483- 491] was inaccurate for what Seniya correctly names the “Kalangala bhikkhuni” mentioned in AN 10.28. My scan incorrectly changed the “n” in her name to an "r"and a “i.” SECOND, Thanissaro Bhikkhu in the section interrupsts the “catechism” of numbered lists with “Of these answers, only the sixth set is not explained in this book. DN 33 explains it as follows” - and here he inserts the Lovingkindness quote I gave above. So the “six” could not be by Kalangala Bhikkhuni as Aminah says for DN 33- that is correct.

Apologies to the forum for this mistake, but I think the Lovingkindness “escapes” are lovely and I wonder why the last two were added to the Brahama Viharas?

1 Like

Very much so! Many thanks for highlighting this; greatly appreciated!