Mae Chee Kaew's anagami fruition

It is not you. It is a quote from the book.

OK. For some reason I hadn’t noticed the references to kalapas when I read through that before. But it makes sense as the teacher had received training from monks in the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition. Something interesting is that he had rejected the notion of vipassana as a separate practice and taught that it should only be done while one is in 3rd or 4th jhana – this is mentioned in the letters.

The way kalapas are discussed here – it is clear that they are referring to what Than. Geoff calls breath energies as well as the nada sound that Ajahn Sumedho uses. Presumably it would also cover the kind of vibratory quality of the visual field that is encountered as well. I had always thought of kalapas as a sort of theoretical phenomena but it would seem that at least here they are referring to a known phenomena while adding a more theoretical (for me anyway) basis. Some quotes:

Next I felt every particle in the body dissolving the letting go brought this about I think. The Kalapas seemed no longer tightly bound together but dissolved like salt in water.(I had often seen this experience in books, but now I have experienced it actually) Then the awareness of Peace and well being was left with me.

You’ve mentioned about ‘Kalapas’. A rupa-Kalapa is the most basic form of existence of matter.Each Kalapa ( meaning ‘bundle’: group) contains the four great elements plus colour, odour, taste and nutritive essence. When the ‘bare-octad’ is combined with the life faculty and the ‘body sensitivity’ , the ‘body decad’ is formed, which is the base for the body sense, spread in and out the body. Similarly, the bare octad combines with the life faculty and eye-sensitivity, to produce the eye-decad, the base of the eye sense. If your understanding is keen enough, you may experience the characteristics of most types of matter.

1 Like

I am not in disagreement with you. But some members of this forum are not in agreement with Abhidhamma explanation of Kalapas.

This experience - that is being discussed in freed freedom - is well known and goes by various names as I mentioned. I don’t think anyone here would debate that this phenomena does arise. What could be questioned is what these phenomena actually are. If I understand correctly the Abhidhamma is describing them as the fundamental particles of reality for lack of a better word. I am sceptical of this. My guess is that they are some sort of artefact of the sense organs - perhaps we are experiencing a more raw data stream before the mind has processed it. But I cannot say whether these phenomena are external or internal and perhaps such ideas of external and internal are also wrong anyway. It is a mystery (to me) but it happens.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying Mae Chee Kaew’s biography at the moment (have gotten about two-third’s of the way through it so far). Great little book. I only even became aware of it through an off-hand reference to it by @frankk (thanks!) here lately in another thread. It seems from this old thread that there’s an audiobook version available too.

1 Like