Mahāvagga in German uploaded

The Mahāvagga as translated by Maitrimurti / Trätow in german has been uploaded to SuttaCentral.
I hope to add the Cūḷavagga (partly) by Fritz Schaefer und Raimund Beyerlein before the end of this week.

5 Likes

Thanks so much, Ayya. When you get a moment, could you share with us a few more thoughts on this text? Translation dates, style, method, or whatever you think might be interesting?

There are two German translation of the Mahāvagga in existence but only one is complete and that is the one that was used for SC: the translation by Maitrimurti and Trätow, Hamburg, 1996.
Thomas Trätow wrote: "I only wanted to learn Pali … ". From this study evolved an entire translation of the Mahāvagga. Some pali-scholars mentioned that the translation can be improved upon, but this is a great first work.

The publisher is Verlag Beyerlein & Steinschulte. This publisher has generously made all their works and copyrights available for Sutta Central. They also have a website which features more translations of various texts as well as comments and footnotes (omitted on SC) on www.palikanon.de.

The other part translation of the Mahāvagga is by Klaus Milius und Dr. Julius Dutoit, which can also be found on the aforementioned website and forms part of the book “Der Buddha und sein Orden” by Fritz Schäfer und Raimund Beyerlein. This book can be purchased at Beyerlein & Steinschulte (www.buddhareden.de).

The parts of the Culavagga, which have now been uploaded on SC, also come from this book.

3 Likes

Let me add to this. The German bhikkhu/samanera Santuttho, based in Sri Lanka, has in the last couple of years been active translating parts of the Vinaya into German. Currently available are:

• complete Mahavagga (2013),
  • complete Cullavagga (2014) and
  • Bhikkhu-Vibhaṅga (2014).

Additionally, Santuttho has translated the Dhammasangani.

I cannot attest to the quality of the translations, but based on the numerous notes it seems like a meticulous work.

Florian

2 Likes

Dear Florian,

We are aware of Bhikkhu Santuttho’s excellent work and I have been in contact with him. He has helped us with some translations from Helmut Hecker and given his input on the existing translations.

The last time I talked to him about his own translations they were not yet finished. I was unaware that they now are so thank you for sharing this information. However, he is not willing to share the copyrights of his own works with SC so they are unfortunately not something we can use.

The same holds true for his Abhidhamma translations.

With metta
Ayya Vimala

1 Like

For those who are interested in Ven. Santuttho’s work, here are the links for Amazon:

2 Likes

Hier ist auf Drängen einiger Interessenten das erste von fünf Büchern des Vinaya-Pitaka online verfügbar.

Wir weisen außerdem darauf hin, dass möglicherweise auch Band 2, also der Cullavagga, in Bälde hier online verfügbar sein wird.

Sofern es genügend Unterstützer gibt, kann auch mit einer Freigabe weiterer Dateien als PDF zum Herunterladen gerechnet werden.

Der Hinweis auf das Urheberrecht bezieht sich auf den Text in Übersetzung, also auf die Arbeit des Übersetzers und nicht auf den Text aus dem Pali-Kanon.

Urheberrechts-Hinweise:

Diese Datei darf nicht verändert oder ausgedruckt werden!

Diese Datei darf nur zum Lesen genutzt werden.

Eine Verwendung dieser Übersetzung als Ganzes, in Teilen, auch als sog. “Großzitat” ist ausdrücklich nicht gestattet.

Der Inhalt dieser Datei darf nicht auf anderen Webseiten, weder im In- noch im Ausland verwendet/angezeigt werden. Das gilt für den Text als auch für Abbildungen jeglicher Art.

Jede Verwertung außerhalb der Grenzen des Urheberrechtsgesetzes ist ohne vorherige schriftliche Zustimmung des Autors unzulässig und strafbar.

Das gilt insbesondere für Vervielfältigung jeglicher Art, Mikroverfilmung, Scannen und Einspeicherung in elektronische Systeme, gleich welcher Art und Umfang.

Mit dem Anklicken des unten gezeigten Links stimmen Sie diesen Hinweisen zu und erklären sich damit vollumfänglich einverstanden.
mahavagga-text

3 Likes