Mahayana's Pure Land & Jain Samavasarana/Samosharana

There is a remarkable similarity between Mahayana’s concept of Pure Land and the idea of Samavasarana/Samosharana of Jainism:

“In Jainism, Samavasarana or Samosharana “Refuge to All” is a term for the divine preaching hall of the Tirthankara.
A place where all have a common opportunity of acquiring the wisdom.
The divine pavilion is built by heavenly beings (devas) after the tirthankara attain omniscience (Kevala Jnana).”

Source: Wikipedia

Is anyone aware of any comparative study between these two?

Any hint on whether some sort of ‘cross polinnation’ took place on the first centuries of coexistence of Jainism and Buddhism in India and surroundings?

:anjal:

2 Likes

In terms of cross pollination, would it be shocking if the Buddha and Mahavira were the same person? In the very least, their life stories seem similar.

1 Like

Interesting question. I reckon the similarities in terms of mythical version of their life stories has to do with the fact both lived among the same people.
The core of the spiritual careers nevertheless is rather different.

The Buddha claimed to rediscover an ancient path to deathlessness while Mahavira only confirmed and claimed fulfilment of an already established model of penance-based omniscient awakening.

1 Like

They lived at the same time in India and their sects were familiar with each other. The Buddha routinely criticized Mahaviras teachings. Jains left mahavira’s sangha to join the Buddha. It would seem beyond shocking that the Buddha would be so duplicitous.

1 Like

I believe it was just a coincidence that their life stories were similar.

I think Jain tradition is older than Buddhist and the Buddha was perhaps a Jain follower when his quest for enlightenment…