Meaning of aññato

The word “aññato” comes up only in one text from the sutta-vinaya, SN 35.80.

The commentary explains

aññato passatīti yathā apariññātābhiniveso jano passati, tato aññato passati. apariññātābhiniveso hi jano sabbanimittānipi attato passati. pariññātābhiniveso pana anattato passati, no attatoti evaṃ imasmiṃ sutte anattalakkhaṇameva kathitaṃ.

Which I think means

He sees “aññato”: he sees differently from the people who do not fully understand attachment/adherence. The people who do not fully understand attachment/adherence see all objects as relating to Self. But one who fully understands attachment/adherence sees [them] as non-Self, not as relating to Self. Thus, in this sutta, it is related to the characteristic of non-Self.

This is how Ven. Bodhi translated the term in NDB.

But Ajahn Thanissaro’s take seems to make more sense:

Aññato: literally, “as other.” The Commentary explains this as “in another way” or “differently” from the way ordinary beings view things, but that does not fit with the syntax of the Pali, nor does it really answer the monk’s question.

Can anyone explain what Ven. Thanissaro means exactly by “that does not fit with the syntax of the Pali”?

Thank you

2 Likes

I also translated it as “as other”.

Completely understanding all things, they see all signs as other.

Just checking my translation, I made the note, “Surely annato here is equivalent to parato”.

The -to ending is an ablative that is used in highly specific and idiomatic way, to see or understand something “as” whatever—impermanent, suffering, and so on. The commentarial reading requires that it function like an ordinary ablative, i.e. “sees differently from (tato) …”.

4 Likes

Thank you Bhante