Mediation center in UK, preferably close to Wiltshire

Dear friends,
I tried to search for it but finally, I thought that it’d be best to ask here :slight_smile:

Do you know any meditation center or maybe even a nice place for a self-retreat in the UK? It would be best if it’d be in Wiltshire or close.
I’m asking for my friend who is a beginner and would like to go for her first retreat, it would be great if it’d be an organized retreat in some meditation center, but well, typical “vipassana” retreats are not a good idea for the first time.
If not a typical retreat she’s also considering just going to some nice secluded place where she’d be able to spend time alone, rest, listen to some guided meditations, dhamma talks etc.
If any of you could help me I’d really appreciate that :slight_smile:

btw maybe someone lives in that area? frankly speaking, she has only my online support, if she’d be able to join some local group it’d be great :slight_smile:

With much Metta :heart::pray:

Chithurst monastery is in Hampshire, but is not currently open to overnight guests, visits could be made in the daytime.

However there is regular instruction on you tube:

Guided meditations:

https://teachings.cittaviveka.org/category/guided-meditation/

To discuss local accomodation contact the nuns and explain what you want to do, they may know a layperson in the area:

Rocana Vihara (Nuns)

Hammer Lane
Iping, Midhurst
West Sussex, GU29 0PF
United Kingdom

Google Maps Street View

Landline: +44 (0)1730 812 125 (answer phone)

General office:

Landline: +44(0)1730 814 986
Office hours are: Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, 07.00 - 08.00 am
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10.00 am - 12.00 pm.

3 Likes

Thank you! Of course, I thought of that monastery but looking for some other options for her :slight_smile:

There is this:

https://internationalmeditationcentre.org/

They do follow a very specific practice there though.

Actually that’s the only place close that I found, but seems to be a bit to hard for the first time (waking up at 4 etc…).
If anyone would have a personal experience with them I’d appreciate if you could share :pray:

I did a couple of courses there but that was back in the 1980s. It was fairly intense and powerful. Food was good. The then teacher Mother Sayama had a certain aura. I was keen to meditate but I can imagine that it might be a bit too overwhelming for some.

1 Like