Meditation posture

The devil clearly hasn’t met the Buddha!

Perhaps you meant ‘sitting meditation posture’. The act of ‘meditating’ can be performed in any position.

[2] "Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns, ‘I am walking.’ When standing, he discerns, ‘I am standing.’ When sitting, he discerns, ‘I am sitting.’ When lying down, he discerns, ‘I am lying down.’ Or however his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it.
MN10

I find walking meditation quite helpful as a primer for sitting meditation. I often use it in retreats to break up the physical monotony of sitting for extended periods of time. Walking meditation is a powerful meditation in its own right.

I’m not a big believer in limiting meditation or more specifically practice, to the sitting position. It creates a false boundary between practice and daily life and limits the benefit to be had just to the cushion, when sometimes the real practice is how we are when we face different and/or difficult situations and people.

With metta

3 Likes

yeah, I was referring to the sitting posture. MN 10 goes on to other positions too as you have quoted.

totally agree.:anjal:

1 Like

@sujato I thought I head the pallankan meant a low stool or similar contraption. Is this correct?

with metta

In exploring this question, it might be useful to look at the earliest Buddha statues, according to my limited knowledge these are the sculptures from Gandhara. Although some statues show the Buddha sitting in full-lotus (padmāsana), some display what looks like an easier sitting posture.

This other posture might be something like what’s called agnistambhāsana in modern gymnastic “yoga”. Something like:

sadhu-sitting2

agnistambhasana

vivekananda-sitting

Many but not all …

:grin:

4 Likes

@Dila Ok seriously: the lotus is for yoga practitioners or people naturally with flexible bodies. Otherwise hurts the knees and back, could be dangerous too with long term effects. There are so many misconceptions about the need for lotus posture, it has become a ritual among the unexperienced and immature as others have pointed out. Actual practitioners soon realise that posture is personal, it’s not just about the unique configuration of one’s body, but that of one’s mind as well. Through long term experimentation with this, and chance too, one eventually might find that a very steady or relaxed body posture is precisely not conducive to samadhi, at least at first! Many accomplished practitioners start their practice with very strange postures or movements, idiosyncratic stuff if you ask me! Some hold their breath, some breath forcefully, and some normally. The point I’m trying to make is that there isn’t one right way, and what ever it is that will be right for you will be so only because it works, for you. The maximum freedom, independence, creativity, and experimentation, are all needed here, because you never know what could finally work out for you at last! One is discovering one’s mind, not only steadying it. And one is often surprised by what works out!

The one point that has been systematically emphasised is that, should one wishes to go beyond the first jhana, then it is important to keep the spine erect at all times, and maintain the head at the right angle with spine. For this a steady and robust body posture is needed, especially given that it usually takes time before mental energy finally flows into jhana. But this is not necessarily needed in such meditation where a certain object or theme is being examined or investigated, or if it is a "recollection’ meditation. So your posture also corresponds to the type of meditation you are intent on.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for this, Bhante. This is wonderful advice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this the Buddha on holiday? :grin:

No he’s dead here, actually.