Meditation practices and layity

Hello everyone.
My question here is two-fold.

1. This part of the question goes to anyone here who is living in a traditional Theravada Buddhist country (South-East Asia, Sri-Lanka) or a country with a long-standing traditional Theravadin community (Malaysia, China, etc). Is it a widespread practice for laypeople to perform various meditation techniques? Or are these techniques mostly “reserved” (figuratively speaking) for the monastic community?
  2. This part of the question goes to the Bhikkhus. What is your opinion on meditation for laypeople: should they, should they not? On what grounds does your opinion stand?

Thank you all for the replies.

No.
They mainly practice based on breath meditation.

Perhaps, a more correct formulation of my question would be, “Is it a widespread practice for laypeople to perform at least one meditation technique”. :slight_smile: Thank you. Just for info, what country are you from?

I am a Sri Lankan.
Only a handful of Sri Lankan practice meditation.
They hardly practice even the five precepts.
Consumption of alcohol among men has become an epidemic.
This is my observation. Perhaps you find different views on this.

1 Like

Some lay people do meditate - anything from divine abodes, anapanasati, buddhanussati and foulness of the body. More monks, especially the monastery monks would meditate. There is no clear demarcation in the practice, apart from the vinaya -the monastic code of discipline which contain a large number of rules and guidelines to follow. However it is seen as very good for a lay person to be meditating- remember that when an entire country is Buddhist many people wont really practice. Hence the difference between the layity and monastics.

with metta

2 Likes