Metta for Sehwan

everything you mentioned does or has a potential to affect in one way or another people residing on the European continent, that’s why these things are reported, what also is reported mainly from abroad is events which have a shock value, but if events of the same kind however terrible happen too often their shock value diminishes, the effect of surfeit ensues, which reflects in the reporting

as the saying goes “one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is statistics”

Der Tod eines Menschen: das ist eine Katastrophe. Hunderttausend Tote: das ist eine Statistik!

Französischer Witz

as another saying goes, “sad but true”

2 Likes

Buddhists should not really assert things to be true when they do not know they are true (AN 8.67).

Recently, there has been lots of US involvement in Pakistan. I do not follow it closely but some articles here:

https://www.thenation.com/article/secret-us-war-pakistan/

For me, it is wrong to dismiss conflict in the Middle-East saying: “This is just how these people are”.

The USA has occupied Afghanistan for 15 years now, obviously unrelated to 9/11. Pakistan is probably related to these geopolitical games by the asuras that run the world.

:bouquet:

What has this to do with sectarian violence? After all that is what this violent attack was about and LXNDR was referring to.

1 Like

i’m not sure how American involvement in the region can provoke or justify attacks of radical muslims against less radical and should i say peaceful muslims like the Sufis

appreciate the sutta reference, it’s a new one to me

Obviously, you do not follow these matters much, which often involve ‘covert’ operations. It seems you are still viewing these matters in terms of ‘identity politics’. Because most people are easily seduced by ‘identity politics’, these tragic events still continue. When the mass media simply & easily pin the label on an event as ‘Islamic’, then Islam is the cause, without any reflection it could be otherwise. :seedling:

Any proof for this particular attack, or just a conspiracy theory?

1 Like

does this mean to imply it was a special operation aimed at fueling hatred between muslim factions? let’s not forget what the suttas AN 8.67 and AN 8.68 say

1 Like

This is the attitude I am criticising or suggesting is unprofitable.

‘Proof’ is required on both sides.

I have already posted a number of articles which is some information for consideration.

An alternate hypothesis to an unproven mass-media view does not make it automatically a conspiracy theory because governments & media engage in their own propaganda also.

As I posted, Buddhists should speak with proof. :palm_tree:

No. It does not mean that. As I posted, I do not follow Pakistan closely but I have followed Syria very closely for 5 years.

My point is it is unwise to jump to any firm conclusion without full evidence. However, since it is known the US is operating in Pakistan & has occupied Afghanistan for unknown reasons for 15 years then some suspicion must fall there as more deliberate destabilization activities, as occurred with proof in Iraq, Libya, Syria, etc.

:seedling:

Should we really be arguing about all these things in so many comments instead of just sharing our metta with the victims and perpetrators? Should it really become one of these political threads? :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Metta is good but viewing the bigger picture is good for compassion (wish to end suffering).

Two choices: (i) metta for a dying world; or (ii) compassion for a better world. :neutral_face:

Since most of us live in democracies, there is a slight glimmer of impossible hope for a better world. Only slight.

So why not make a separate thread for the bigger picture? I kind of derailed the thread twice, it would be gret not to do it for the third time.

Its OK. I am out now. I only joined because you included me in. I practise samatha-vipassana for the nuclear age. :koala:

Are you speaking with proof, suggesting American involvement?
No, you haven’t got any proof.
Then please abide by the suttas you mentioned yourself.

You started your metta post with a political statement, my friend…

I made no such suggestion. Instead, merely a possibly & consideration to stop coming to quick conclusions .

America invaded Iraq, based on lies, unleashing a terrorism in Iraq that did not exist prior to the invasion. Millions of Iraqi, including Christians, dead. Thousands of children with birth defects from radioactive weapons.

America bombed Libya, unleashing a terrorism in Libya that did not exist prior to the bombing. The nation that once well provided for its people now destroyed.

America has been involved in the regime-change agenda in Syria. All proven with evidence.

Therefore, I think it is about time to not conclude it is only Islam doing these things.

:seedling:

From Webster:

To suggest: to mention or imply as a possibility

That is exactly as you did.

OK, I suggested the possibility & I personally prefer to side with that possibility.

My point is if we do not see the bigger picture then our limited causal conclusions will only lead to the problems getting worse.

The Buddha taught to identify the exact cause of a problem in order to eradicate the problem.

Blaming Islam will not eradicate the problem because it is not Islam controlling the issues you are concerned about.

Islam did not create the refugee crisis from Iraq, Libya & Syria. It was the world powers that created this crisis because it was the world powers that made war in these once stable & secular nations.

Islam does not build & supply the weapons used in these conflicts.

It is not Islam that is selling billions of $$ of weaponry each year to Saudi Arabia to destroy Yemen.

It is obviously not Islam causing these problems on a global scale.

Islam did not create the Taliban that the US is fighting in Afghanistan. It was the USA that created the Taliban, just as it was the USA that created the ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ that has made conflict in the Middle East since the 1950s.

It was not Islam that promoted Islamic immigration to Europe during the 1960s and 1970s and it is not Islamic politicians that are pushing to accept refugees at the current time.

Please stop blaming Islam.

What has this all to do with the topic @Vstakan started?

I am not sure. But it appears to have shown your impassioned personal crusade against Islam on this forum is probably seriously misguided in respect to actual causality (idappaccayatā). :koala: