Milindapañha7.4.7, etc (?)

Hello,

Thank you for all your hard work!
Just wanted to let you know that a portion of TWRhys-David’s translation of Mil7.4.7 is missing (it is found in the footnotes of the electronic document - found it when I searched that which I had typed out from the pdf in the electronic document) - in bold:

Regards, WY

the questions of king milinda

book 7: similes of arahatship

chapter 3

7.4.7. The Moon

‘Venerable Nāgasena, those five qualities of the moon which you say he ought to have, which are they?’

‘Just, O king, as the moon, rising in the bright fortnight, waxes more and more; just so, O king, should the strenuous Bhikshu, earnest in effort, grow more and more in good conduct and righteousness and virtue and the constant performance of duty, and in knowledge of the scriptures and study, and in the habit of retirement, and in self-possession, and in keeping the doors of his senses guarded, and in moderation in food, and in the practice of vigils. This, O king, is the first quality of the moon he ought to have.

‘And again, O king, as the moon is a mighty lord ; just so, O king, should the strenuous Bhikshu, earnest in effort, be a mighty lord over his own will. This, O king, is the second quality of the moon he ought to have.

’And again, O king, as the moon wanders at night; just so, O king, should the strenuous Bhikshu, earnest in effort, be given to solitude. This, O king, is the third quality of the moon he ought to have.

’And again, O king, as the moon hoists a standard over his mansion; just so, O king, should the strenuous Bhikshu, earnest in effort, hoist the standard of righteousness. This, O king, is the fourth quality of the moon he ought to have.

’And again, O king, as the moon rises when begged and prayed to do so; just so, O king, should the strenuous Bhikshu, earnest in effort, frequent for alms those families who have asked and invited him to do so. This, O king, is the fifth quality of the moon he ought to have. For it was said, O king, by the Blessed One, the god over all gods, in the most excellent Samyutta, Nikâya:

"Like the moon, O brethren, let your visits be paid to the laity. Drawing back alike in outward demeanour and in inward spirit, be ye always, as strangers on their first visit, retiring in the presence of the laity. [As the man who looks down a deep well, or a mountain precipice, or a river in flood, would be abashed alike in body and in mind; so be ye, O brethren, as the moon in your visits to the laity. Holding alike in your outward demeanour and your inward spirit, be ye alway, as strangers on their first visit, retiring in the presence of the laity].”’

4 Likes

Thanks so much for highlighting this and especially for taking the trouble to find the missing text! I’ll have a look at it and get it corrected shortly.

Just one follow-up question: the title of this thread ends “etc (?)” have you found / do you suspect there are errors in other Mil texts, too?

Again much thanks!
:pray:

6 Likes

You are most welcome!

It is just a catch all for more errors (if any) but have not come across any at present. I could be wrong too here of course.

3 Likes

Thanks so much!

I’ve had a look at this and have now pushed an update to the file (it may not show on the site for some time because changes to legacy texts are being held separately for the moment while some other connected developments are underway).

I discovered that this mistake was simply a replication from the original source SC used: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe36/sbe3611.htm#page_318. It seems that somehow within the editing process, part of the main text ended up as a footnote: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe36/sbe3611.htm#fn_760.

I can’t think of a painless way to quickly check if there are any other similar mistakes so for now will just assume it’s a one off.

Once more, much thanks for highlighting.

3 Likes

This is not on Milindapañha, but Dīgha Nikaya.

Under the list of the parallels for DN33 Reciting in Concert Saṅgīti Sutta, the 4th in the long list (131) links to:

The Thirty-Two Marks of a Great Man
which is clearly the parallel for DN30 The Marks of a Great Man.

Thank you so much for all your hard work and generosity thus far. Please don’t take this (report) in the wrong way. (In any case, it is a good for the ‘readers’.)

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this, and please don’t be worried about highlighting errors on the site; it’s a great service and that’s the only way things can get corrected.

I don’t handle parallels myself, and in turn flag it up for @sujato.

Again, thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve fixed this in the data, I think it was just a typo. It will propagate to the site in due course.

3 Likes