MN 26 - "last birth" vs "birth is ended"

Dear forum

Contrary to the accounts in SN 22.59 and in the Vinaya Mahākhandhaka, in MN 26, when the five disciples declare their arahantship, it is said:

The knowledge and vision arose in them:
Ñāṇañca pana nesaṁ dassanaṁ udapādi:

Our deliverance is unshakeable; this is our last birth; there is no renewal of being.’
‘akuppā no vimutti, ayamantimā jāti, natthi dāni punabbhavo’ti.

MN 26

However, it seems, apart from MN 26, as shown in SN 56.11 and in the Vinaya Mahākhandhaka, the phase “this is my last birth” is generally used by the Buddha; and the phrase: “birth is ended” is generally used by the arahant disciples. Texts below:

Knowledge and vision arose in me:
Ñāṇañca pana me dassanaṁ udapādi:

‘Unshakable is the liberation of my mind. This is my last birth. Now there is no more renewed existence.’

‘akuppā me vimutti, ayamantimā jāti, natthi dāni punabbhavo’ti.

SN 56.11

He understands: ‘Destroyed is birth, the holy life has been lived, what had to be done has been done, there is no more of this state.’

Khīṇā jāti, vusitaṁ brahmacariyaṁ, kataṁ karaṇīyaṁ, nāparaṁ itthattāyā’ti pajānātī”ti.

SN 22.59

Are my observations above correct?

Is MN 26 the only sutta where “this is my final birth” is declared by an Arahant Disciple?

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You have good observation. I searched “akuppā no vimutti” in the whole tipitaka, only one place. There are 23 places for “akuppā me vimutti / cetovimutti”, all by Buddha himself. Just “This is my last birth”, or “Destroyed is birth”, means the same thing, right? Do you have some particular thoughts on any difference?

2 Likes

Thank you Bhante. 23 places is a lot.

1 Like

I am interested to hear whether anyone here got any explanation for that fact?