Moodle users out there?

I’m trying to set up a course on Moodle for teaching Dhamma to kids and I was wondering if anyone here had done Moodle courses or better yet created any.

If you like you can pm me. Mods can lock the thread if this isn’t an appropriate topic.

1 Like

A few years ago I took the Samatha Trust’s 9-month online meditation course taught by Peter Harvey. This has been my only ever experiencing of moodling.

I’m afraid I can’t really say a lot about it, for though the platform had a very impressive panoply of functions, we made only the most minimal use of them. Basically the teaching was done via one-to-one Skype interviews and Peter just used Moodle as a place to upload a pdf handout once a week and run a private group discussion forum for his students. I can affirm that Moodle was quite adequate for those two purposes, but then I suppose almost anything would be.

Anyhow, it’s still free, so it won’t hurt to give it a try.

3 Likes

Hi Snowbird,

Sounds like a great project!

Moodle is very powerful, but also very complex. As you will know, it’s used extensively by educational institutions. We use it for delivery of online material, so I’ve used it for a decade or so, and it generally works well, though I would struggle without the institutional IT support. However, it may be that as a do-it-yourself project you could keep it much simpler.

The main problem/feature is that there is such a rich choice of possibilities that it can be hard to decide which approach to take. And it’s often not very intuitive where you should go to set something, but I think most of wind up operating within a relatively small subset of the possibilities that we understand…

It may well be that there are tools out there to build a simplified custom configuration suitable for your purpose that is not so overwhelming.

2 Likes