More than 5 (or 6) senses?!

Bhante, maybe all of the translations involving the six sense bases will need to be edited in light of this new information!

2 Likes

All three of those seem to be to be more like aspects of perception from the 6, possibly using more then one, or even all of the senses, to gauge those perceptions, Ie they rely on the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind, to draw information from to form the perceptions.

I saw an article months back that said we had something like 20+ senses actually, thought that this would the same article but apparently not.

2 Likes

The six sense spheres aren’t defining the total senses of the human being, they are defining the total extent of human experience. Parsing any given sense sphere into multiple sense modalities (proprioception, thermoception, pressure, infrared perception, electroreception, and so on) is hardly important.

That the content of the mind sphere is constructed from the content of the other sense spheres - this is the more significant thing, it seems to me.

2 Likes

This post, as well as the link contained therein, was merely an attempt at humor. My apologies, I sometimes forget the difficulty of conveying humor in a medium where subtle forms of communication such as sarcasm are not likely to translate. While not intended to start a serious discussion, I do appreciate the intellectual preponderance! :anjal:

2 Likes

But seriously, it is interesting, so thanks.

1 Like