Most beautiful pictures/artwork of the Buddha/buddhism related

Magha Puja by Junaidi

It would be nice to see more photo realistic pictures of the Buddha - like this one but less anime. He was a man who achieved a state that went beyond the human, beyond any form or becoming. Depicting him realistically gives me more inspiration than the grandiose extrapolations. It gives the sense that we are all capable of attaining Arahantship, even today.

9 Likes

8 Likes

11 Likes

The Dhammapada
Lithography Syarikat Foto Litho, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

5 Likes

This reminds me of Bhante Sujato’s story about his monk friend who’s teacher made his monks meditate with a matchbox on top of their heads so that it would fall off if they fell asleep!

3 Likes

Buddha%20and%20Sangha%20in%20Deer%20Park Buddha%205%20ascetics 8-Spoked%20Wheel%20-%20Dhamma%20chakka%20Dharma%20chakra%20-%20square

6 Likes

Hi,
lovely idea, since the Buddha did not share the Dhamma only by the Dhamma-talks.
Attached is my favourite - found it on the Internet some years ago. As far as I know, it is a free (no copyright) image, but its author unknown to me. Nature gives freely, no copyrights, but some people take advantage of it to make lots of money and give little back to protect our Natural Heritage. 21 March is International Day of Forests. Bodhi Tree was the first symbol/reminder to pay respect,

when the Buddha was not present
metta :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

To clarify - my comment about author of those 3 images is referring only to the painting of the Buddha seated in the forest under the Bodhi Tree. I then added 2 more and forgot to edit the post. The image of a painting of the tree surrounded by a wall comes from Wikipedia. The photo of the Bodhi Tree with the orange robe and the message plaque was taken by me in 1997.

2 Likes

I’m very fond of the Greco-Buddhist art… I think it’s the best of both worlds. :smile:

:pray:

14 Likes

Who are the couple Pharro and Ardoxsho please?

1 Like

According to Wikipedia they’re the Buddhist gods Pancika (left) and Hariti (right). :smile:

:pray:

4 Likes

images

3 Likes

Yeah! I love the old Greco/Buddhist statues!

But I must say, the statues from Southeast Asia are my favorites:

7 Likes

Mahapajapati Gotami with Siddhattha
(from Wikipedia)

10 Likes

Wikipedia describes this unusual image thus:

MediaJet (A Photograph of a Very old Lithographic Painting drawn by Maligawage Sarlis Master of Ceylon ,captured by me sometime in 2009)
File:Prince Siddhartha with his maternal aunt Queen Mahaprajapati Gotami.JPG - Wikipedia

4 Likes

11 Likes

Buddha altar I use on my retreats :slight_smile:
I think it’s beautiful in its simplicity :anjal: :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Interesting! The last image has a moustache .

1 Like

Did they carve stone like that in the time of the Buddha?

5 Likes