Mucalindasutta(like the moon released from the eclipse)

Our solar system is structured such that it takes approximately 365 days for the Earth to orbit the Sun and approximately 28 days for the Moon to orbit the Earth. These two orbital paths are independent of one another. Twice a year, however, the paths intersect creating solar and lunar eclipses. For a short time, the Sun or Moon is overtaken by the darkness of one of the nodes. Rahu is the ascending point where the Moon’s orbit cuts through the Earth’s orbit. Ketu is the descending point. They are always opposite each other in the sky or birth chart, and the main force of karma and desire can be seen along its axis.

Mucalindasutta

Just then a great storm blew up out of season, bringing seven days of rain, cold winds, and clouds.

about Indra
“and the god who disturbs sages as they meditate because he fears self-realized human beings may become more powerful than him.”

Mucalinda, the dragon king(Ketu), came out from his abode, encircled the Buddha’s body with seven coils and spread his large hood(Rahu) over his head, thinking,

“May the Buddha not be hot or cold(Duality), nor be bothered by flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun(Soul), or reptiles.

When he knew the sky was clear, Mucalinda unwrapped his coils from the Buddha’s body. Hiding his own form, he manifested in the form of a brahmin youth(Mind?). He stood in front of the Buddha, venerating him with joined palms.

The divine in me, bow down to the divine in you.

Rahu, why did you suddenly release Suriya? Why have you come trembling, and why are you standing here terrified?

I have been spoken to by the Buddha in a stanza (requesting me to release Suriya). If I had not released Suriya my head would have split into seven pieces. While yet I live, I should have had no happiness. (Therefore I released Suriya).(SN 2.10)

In classical antiquity, the seven classical planets or seven luminaries are the seven moving astronomical objects in the sky visible to the naked eye: the Moon, Mercury, Venus, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn .

The misunderstanding of our true nature allows us to exist under the illusion that we are separate from the universal law of creation. According to Vedic wisdom, each planet is an expression of our own divine consciousness.
The nodes bring together Earth (body), Sun (soul) and Moon (mind)

How long was the longest solar eclipse?
7 minutes 31 seconds
The longest possible duration of totality is 7 minutes 31 seconds.

That’s why 7 coils of the tail of the Dragon(Ketu)

Ketu is an imaginary but powerful planet in Hindu astrology. It is the south node of the moon and mythological known as the “Tail of the Dragon”. It is always associated with mystery, spiritual detachment, liberation, crafty thinking etc. Apr 2019

The Enlightenment of Buddha

Dispassion for the world is happiness(Body)
But for one who has gone beyond sensual pleasures.
But dispelling the conceit ʻI am’(Spirit)
is truly the ultimate happiness.”(Mind)
(Mucalindasutta)

In the following suttas we can see stories of Node Rahu with sun. And of the Moon in SN 2.9(Eclipses)

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn02/sn02.010.piya.html

Mucalindasutta

https://suttacentral.net/ud2.1/en/sujato?layout=linebyline&reference=main/pts&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

Therefore, Rahu and Ketu are respectively called the north and the south lunar nodes. That eclipses occur when the Sun and the Moon are at one of these points gives rise to the understanding of swallowing of the Sun and the Moon by the snake. Rahu is responsible for causing the Eclipse of the Sun

Ketu is South Node of the Moon and also a shadow, just like Rahu. It is called the Dragon’s Tail in Vedic Astrology. It is a headless planet and relates mostly to the unconscious mind and mysteries of life.20 Dec 2018

It seems we are now in the realm of Shiva, God of Destruction (Covid-19)! After that, we may have a new beginning of life! I think we may need Brahma for creating a new life again, and for continuing to protect and promote the Buddha Dhamma in the world!

You mean the feminine qualities. Which is Brahma viharas(metta). Feminine qualities is down force. Meaning to soften. Love and compassion is caring. :arrow_down_small:

Lack of grounding also. Earth force. Male force. :arrow_up_small:

So everything is in chaos.

Not about feminine or male force at all!
just destruction, and then creation and preservation, and then destruction again!

I mean why there comes the destruction phase is when humans are not in harmony with Dharma. That’s the wheel in the sky of everything. Meaning the law of life.

The law of life is anicca, dukkha, anatta.

I mean the idea of keeping the Dhammachaka was globally. In India then they used astrology to keep order. But Buddha just taught the root of what everyone seek. In many countries. The wheel of the big dipper constellation which looks like it’s spinning is used. Even in Thailand some things are designed like it. With Buddha in the middle. Like the North Star in middle. Meaning the Dharma of Buddha has everything that humans need to do to bring success in lay life and monastic

The dharma of the Buddha is essentially to know and see the arising of dukkha and the cessation of dukkha; i.e. the four noble truths. Regarding how to see dukkha, it is to see anicca, dukkha, anatta; i.e. the connection between anicca, dukkha, anatta (according to SA/SN sutras/suttas).

Not everything is for that goal. We can see suttas for laypersons also. The point is that the inspiration to see all samsara as gods as also humans. So as above so below. Meaning all samsara needs dharma. Meaning the mundane dharma. Laypersons dharma. You know that. Not all will decide to reach understanding in Higher Dharma. And this repected by Buddha. That’s why in samsara Buddha atleast followed the path of Metta. Supposedly. But I think it’s a lesson. That Loving-kindness and Compassion is the basic the world needs.

I think modern Sangha is really ignorant of the teaching of Indian mythologies that was from Astronomy. And from those myths they applied them in Vedic Astrology. Actually all I said above is Language Buddha used because he came from knowing Vedic.

Muttā, be released from your bonds,
like the moon released from the eclipse.
…That is how the Buddha regularly advised the trainee nun Muttā with these verses.

Many remove Buddha from Astronomy and Astrology. He obviously used them as lessons. Because that’s what Indians understood if they where already in Vedic.

Buddhism (such as the four noble truths) is not Vedic astrology and mythology at all!

Do we have evidence that the unit of time called minutes are in use in ancient India? And even if it is, by what timepiece/clock/ time keeping device is it kept in check?

The Rahu eating the sun and moon thing is one of the suttas which I am glad I didn’t read as a beginner. It would had severely undermine my faith and made me more open to non literal interpretations of almost everything in the suttas.

For now, I just interpret it as the devas and asuras are having some battle during an elipse. Even if Rahu would not had released the sun, the elipse would still be over soon, and just that the sun is empty and looking for the next sun deva to take residence there.

Most likely some metaphorical interpretation would fit better than my almost totally literal interpretation.

Really my friend? If the sky is samsara isnt it the four noble truth?

Let me check. According to Buddha the gods are impermanent. That’s suffering because there is beginning and ending. Sunset and sunrise. The Sky is constantly moving. We have to follow Dharma. The fixed course of things. The sky is constantly changing but it’s following the same routines. Moving in same direction. Respecting what they have to do. The sun rise and sets everyday in most countries. It’s following Dharma. Life and Death. You are also following Dharma. Wake up in the morning and sleep at night. Just like the sun. What happens when you don’t take care to sleep good at night while you know your working hard? Adharma.

Good and Bad. Light and Darkness. Sun and Moon.

There is a ending to being gripped by suffering. Meaning constantly following Dharma. There is no break? Eclipse is the proof that there is a ending.

The Dharma is everywhere. That’s why Buddha said if you see the Dharma you see himself. When you see Buddha you see Dharma. :bulb: :pray:t4:

Found this today because a Hindu told the myth of Rahu and Ketu. Because this I understand that by the story of Buddha he is proclaiming immorality.

I the sutras Buddha is even said is blue. And the story in link says Shiva dranked a blue poison and couldn’t die and after became blue.

The ultimate meaning of “Churning the Ocean of Milk” is there is a balance point at the base of the churning stick which doesn’t change, and attaining this is the aim of meditation. Detachment from the churning back and forth of the battle between the Asuras and Devas in daily life becomes established. This is also the meaning of the Buddhist Mucalinda sutta Ud 2.1, the seven coils of the Naga meaning the factors of awakening, and the hood protecting from the daily vicissitudes.
Milk churning stick

(7) The Thirty-three Gods (tavatimsa deva) Sakka, a devotee of the Buddha, presides over this realm. Many devas dwelling here live in mansions in the air.
(6) Devas of the Four Great Kings (catumaharajika deva) Home of the gandhabbas, the celestial musicians, and the yakkhas, tree spirits of varying degrees of ethical purity. The latter are analogous to the goblins, trolls, and fairies of Western fairy tales.
(5) Human beings (manussa loka) You are here (for now).

The Asuras were ejected from level 7 to lower for misbehaviour, and are constantly trying to regain their former position. 7 & 6 are the higher mind states most accessible from the human realm, so churning the ocean of milk is a popular iconographic subject (such as Bangkok Airport) as it refers to the usual state of consciousness of the ordinary person. Determining the mind state and working with that theme of the mind is said to be the key to successful meditation (SN 47.8).

1 Like

thanks for all info. The Hindu also said the meaning of 7 around his body should be the chakras. Although it’s not something in EBT. I think they still knew there was that energy in the body. I think that’s why there is almost 8 jhanas also. 8 being the highest. There is also 8 chakras

From the Wikepedia

From that day, his head was called Rahu and his body Ketu, which both later became planets. The story ends with the rejuvenated Devas defeating the Asuras and that’s why the eclipse mode of the moon means Rahu swallows moon as his revenge. Although, Rahu only has a head and no body. So the god moon chandra comes out from the throat of Rahu and we see the moon again in sky.

From the myth better told on another website.

Rahu’s head is made immortal while his body, called Ketu, not having come in contact with the immortalizing amrita , dies. The head of Rahu, then, remains and grudgingly attacks the Sun (and Ketu attacks the Moon) and is said to swallow it, and to cause the “eclipse”! **Since Rahu has no body he is unable to digest the sun and thus the sun is released, and the eclipse ends.

That’s why I said ofcourse Buddha used eclipse as meaning ending. We can also see the head means immortality. That’s why if you see the sutta. The head goes on top Buddha head because he wanted Buddha to be free from the sun. Meaning bringing the final release of Buddha of the conceit I am. Acquired self. The ending of suffering just like the ending of the eclipse. But when the Mahanaga removed the coils and went away it’s because he saw the “sky” clear. (Eclipse ending).

One more thing we can see then since Ketu is the tail. And didn’t become immortal. That means it’s going around Buddha body because body is mortal.

@NgXinZhao @thomaslaw @paul1

@sujato

Another thing I noticed. Then the story of Buddha telling Rahu to release sun and moon is actually telling of this same moment of control but inside.

No, it is not. Sky is not samsara. Sky is sky.

Which dharma do you refer to? Do you refer to it as anicca, dukkha, anatta, the arising and cessation of dukkha, or something else?

It’s not to be reached by traveling the end of the cosmos—regardless.
And it’s not without reaching
the end of the cosmos
that there is release
from suffering & stress.

So, truly, the wise one,
an expert with regard to the cosmos,
a knower of the end of the cosmos,
having fulfilled the holy life,
calmed,
knowing the cosmos’ end,
doesn’t long for this cosmos
or for any other. - Buddha

contemplating the right Dhamma
at the right times,
on coming
to oneness(Sun and Moon coming together, eclipse)
should annihilate
darkness. (The sun being released from the darkness of the moon in eclipse)
Sn 4.16

Seeing that the sky is also anicca, one doesn’t long anymore for reaching the end of knowledge of the cosmos. On Earth has ending. In Sky has ending. Go inside.

But we have to be alteast same page as Sangha in time of Buddha to understand the Dhamma being taught.