Multilingual SuttaCentral Booklet/Flyer?

Regarding a similar subject, have there been flyers created for SuttaCentral to leave (with permission) at Buddhist or Buddhist-inspired meditation centres or groups? Would this be deemed appropriate for me to do? Since we speak several languages in Switzerland, it would be an opportunity to highlight the multilingual feature of the site, which I found many people don’t know about.

5 Likes

Hmm.

No. But I wonder whether, rather than a flyer (which is just an ad and doesn’t give any value for people) we were to do a small booklet, perhaps a selection of verses, in different languages?

We could create a PDF file, say a 30 page A5 booklet, then people could print it in their own countries. That way it would be a nice thing for people, as well as helping spread the word. What do you think?

4 Likes

Sounds great.

But I would like you to clarify a bit about ‘different languages’.

Do you mean: one single booklet with different languages, or one booklet for one language?

In my humble opinion, one with different languages is ideal in a multicultural places like Australia. So, the suttas (or part of a sutta) chosen need to be short just to ‘give a taste’. The table of contents would be a crucial piece of ‘advertisement’ of what SuttaCentral has to offer.

4 Likes

I’d definitely second that idea! :heart:

4 Likes

Yes, not sure, just throwing out an idea. Too many languages and it could get confusing.

Yes, although even here most of the time Buddhist communities are linguistically contained. We could do a Vietnamese one, a Thai one, a Cambodian one …

Perhaps bilingual with English would be the safe choice? Actually that would be good, because it means both parents and kids can read it. Mum can pick up a copy at her local temple, see what it says in Thai, then take it home in the ever-optimistic hope that her kids will take an interest!

5 Likes

For Europe we could have English/French/German? Or Italian for Switzerland? @noeismet?

Having only two languages would be difficult in Europe, I think. If one language was English, it would basically be limited to just one country. Or perhaps that would be just good? I am a bit unsure.

1 Like

My humble idea is to ‘advertise’, not to be informative.

The booklet is to advertise what SuttaCentral can offer. People can pick up a booklet, get interested because it has their language(s), and perhaps also show it to their friends from different cultural backgrounds.

The ultimate goal is to get people to come to SuttaCentral, where they can find the translation in their languages.

2 Likes

I think the key here is distribution. I’m thinking of something that has a fairly low cost for printing, so that individuals or small groups in a city might print a hundred or so copies.

Ok, let me do the math.

In Australia at our local Officeworks:

• A5
  • 32 pages
  • 200 copies (this brings the price down to minimum/copy)

That’s $2.98/copy = $600.

I don’t know the whole “money” thing so y’all will have to tell me if that’s reasonable. Do you think we’d get takers if we encouraged our SC folks to do this and distribute for their local centers?

I’m wanting to keep it low cost and local. In a city, just take them with you next time you go to a center, drop them off, and see if anyone else wants to take them somewhere. Once you get outside your city, it’s postage and organization, and outside your country (Europe probably is an exception) there’s also customs to think about.

2 Likes

Yes, this sounds great. As @sabbamitta, I’d definitely second that idea!

Initially, I envisioned an A4 page tri-folded into a compact leaflet in a singular language, a format that ensures ease of printing and minimal expense. But, the concept of a 30-page A5 booklet sounds great—it undeniably adds more value. In this instance, a bilingual edition seems the best option, as incorporating additional languages might, as you later suggest, lead to confusion.

In the case of Switzerland, combinations such as English-French, English-German, and English-Italian come to mind. These language pairings would also be appropriate for distribution to France, Germany, and Italy. Within Europe, custom taxes are unlikely to apply since we are not selling goods, merely covering postal expenses.

3 Likes

In my region French-German would be a good choice. We are surrounded by France, Luxembourg, and Belgium! :smile:

Within the EU we don’t have to pay customs, and postage within Germany is still reasonable. But as soon as it crosses the border postage costs have become quite expensive!

2 Likes

I just checked with a few of the printers I’ve used lately and that’s a good price.

4 Likes

I just checked my latest printing bill which was for 200 copies of the German translation of Ajahn Brahmali’s “Samatha & Vipassana” booklet. It is A5, has 40 pages including cover and everything, and it was slightly under 300 €.

This price was already with more expensive paper cost—prices for paper are raising since everyone started ordering everything online with COVID and all the paper is needed for packages; and probably it will be even more expensive now (it was in Oct 2022).

This wasn’t however the local copy shop around the corner, but a real print shop where they do offset printing. For such a thing this is cheaper than the local copy shop, but they have special requirements for the document that need to be met. (Shouldn’t be a problem for someone who knows a little more about Latex than me …)

1 Like