My new project: recording the suttas 🎙

One of my favorite aspects of hanging around this forum is seeing progress unfold in action. :dharmawheel:

Thank you so much, Bhante @sujato, @michaelh, and @karl_lew, for making this project a reality. Buddhism was first introduced in the West in the 19th century. But it is only now, toward the end of the 2010s that the well-translated Dhamma is becoming accessible for everyone: rich or poor, blind or sighted, located in NYC or Sub-Saharan Africa, speaking English fluently or not-so-fluently. It’s an honor to witness this development. :pray::sparkles::thaibuddha:

@karl_lew It’s a curious state of affairs when two people are both convinced by the other’s position! However, your idea of combining flac files with images to form YouTube videos gave me an idea. What about combining selected sutta recordings with artwork already made by Ven Yodha? Then those could be uploaded to Dhammanet, which already has 5 000 subscribers. It would give the additional advantage of starting out small w.r.t. YouTube videos.

Thinking about the next decade, I could see great value in high-quality segmented translations to Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, and Spanish—on par with and a full substitute for Pāli/English—to make the Dhamma accessible to even more people, learning from the experience of distributing the Dhamma in English. My $.02 :anjal:

8 Likes