Newbie Plan of Action

I’m both loving the Sutta Central website and this forum and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the breadth of material and the depth of knowledge on this forum. Which is an absolutely wonderful place for a newbie - surrounded by people of deep knowledge who welcome having newbies around.

So, my plan for myself, is to start with Buddhist Life, Buddhist Path. I’m going to follow the author’s suggestion of reading each chapter twice - once before listening to the audio of the lecture on the chapter and once after. I’ll let that book guide my initial reading choices from the suttas.

I’ll continue working my way through Ajahn Bramali’s Intro to Pali lectures–free online. With textbook also free.

And I’ll do a lot of reading on this forum.

I am very open to suggestions and guidance. My deep gratitude to those who created this great place, and everyone who contributes to it. Thank you.

15 Likes

Today, this morning, around 4 hours ago, I decided on exactly the same thing. So I say, I will join you.

The situation of the world has made me realize there is no time to waste. I was always attracted to the buddhist path and I’ve listened to Ajahn Brahm for 10 years at least now. From today I’m committing to actually trying my best to walk the buddhist path.

There is no time to waste, just as the Buddha said in this sutta: SuttaCentral

Good luck to us both and I’m so happy for you, I hope it brings great fruit for you.

12 Likes

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu!

Hoping that the journey bears lots of fruit for the both of you :pray: :sunflower: :dharmawheel:

6 Likes

Welcome JimInBC!

For me, Bhikkhu Bodhi’s collection, In the Buddha’s Word, was an excellent overview of the suttas. I still refer to it frequently, especially this on-line version:

9 Likes

Identify the main hindrance in one’s own case then formulate a plan of action:

“If, on examination, a monk knows, ‘I usually remain covetous, with thoughts of ill will, overcome by sloth & drowsiness, restless, uncertain, angry, with soiled thoughts, with my body aroused, lazy, or unconcentrated,’ then he should put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, & alertness for the abandoning of those very same evil, unskillful qualities. Just as when a person whose turban or head was on fire would put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, & alertness to put out the fire on his turban or head; in the same way, the monk should put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, & alertness for the abandoning of those very same evil, unskillful qualities.”—AN 10.51

Antidotes:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel026.html

3 Likes

It’s a pretty great place to be a not-so-newbie too! :smile:

An excellent choice! If you’d like my recommendations, I actually have a different set of lectures and a few additional readings which I think compliment the book well. You might want to check them out.

Also a great book. If anyone here does plan on studying this one, I’ll just point out that there’s a lecture series on this book for you too.

Best of luck to you both! :smile: And if you need anything, you know where to find us :grin:

6 Likes

Thank you, @Khemarato.bhikkhu! This is a wonderful collection of resources!

:smiley:

Great! I look forward to walking this path together! :smiley:

4 Likes